Log violation

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Mototom, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    So I’m supposed to be at a steel plant at 16:00 I get there an hour early. They push out my appointment until 9:00pm. By the time I’m loaded I have a half hour on my clock.
    No parking on property period. Gravel lot is full, as in a spread axle is #### near out in the road.
    Lowe’s parking lot has too many poles to get into and I’m in a city don’t want rowed or booted.
    I use PC to drive 20miles to the first truck stop. I was going to park on interstate but “emergency parking only” same story with ramps.

1.How do companies treat log violations?(CFI)
    2.Whats the fine for a log violation?
    3.If I take my 10hr will I be put OOS if it’s found?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    1. You'll have to ask CFI, but most companies will simply say "Don't do it again." and move on with life. It's only if several agains happen it becomes a problem.
    2. Varies by state.
    3. No.

Now, to answer the unasked question. You very likely did not commit a log violation. One of the PC guidance examples is exactly what happened to you. If you get kicked out of a shipper/receiver you can go to a safe, reasonable location to get your rest.
    20 miles is very likely reasonable, unless you passed a few truck stops, a rest area, or something like that.

From FMCSA's PC faq at: Personal Conveyance

3. Time spent traveling to a nearby, reasonable, safe location to obtain required rest after loading or unloading. The time driving under personal conveyance must allow the driver adequate time to obtain the required rest in accordance with minimum off-duty periods under 49 CFR 395.3(a)(1) (property-carrying vehicles) or 395.5(a) (passenger-carrying vehicles) before returning to on-duty driving, and the resting location must be the first such location reasonably available.

D.Tibbitt, deathB4decaf and Mototom Thank this.
  4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    If you can't park overnight that why they have the new PC loaded or empty. You can drive to the first safe place to park. It's not a log violation.. once parked you take regular 10 hour off and your good to go again. Put in the remarks on log no overnight parking and going to first safe place to park.

Mototom and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You are absolutely PC. You have been KICKED OUT off the property without regard for federal law. (That is something that will need fixing)

Note on log, PC to such a such nearest safe good place to put the truck. And go be happy with a meal or something. You violated nothing.

If there is anything to prosecute it will be the shipper or receiver who kicked you off the property, only there is nothing at all to do it because it's their property, what they say goes.

You would think you can stand up like Mr Trump or some such and cite Federal Law and you aint moving a inch until such a time tomorrow in your logs. They would just whistle up a big tow truck and eradicate you and your truck from the property. Federal law or regulations in HOS has no meaning to these people.

Mototom Thanks this.
  6. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    Thanks everyone I’ll call logs and have them note it.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    personal use was made for things like this

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. Expeditor

Expeditor Medium Load Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Remember PC is up to the company you drive for. They set restrictions on its use or if it's even allowed. Check with company on how to log and annotate logs.

Dieselboss Thanks this.
  9. Moonshadow1918

Moonshadow1918 Light Load Member

May 13, 2018
    Real issue is . Does your insurance still cover you why your in PC. Under a load

10. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    PC until safe parking is found as long as it takes.
    Because you may go to 3 truck stops at night that will have 0 parking spots.
    So roll on. That's my opinion of what I would do, and have done lately.

11. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Typical steel mill. I have learned more than once if ur are going to anywhere that involves getting steel loaded on or in your trailer make sure u have a full logbook, ask any flatbedder...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.