Logging off Duty

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by ruschracing, May 2, 2010.

1. ruschracing

ruschracing Bobtail Member

May 2, 2010
    Riley twp Mi
    I broke down the other day and drove to the dealer and they worked on my truck for 12 hours, I was at the dealer the entire time and logged off duty the entire time at the dealer, would it be legal when the truck was finished to log back on duty and drive for 11 hrs or would I have to go back off duty for 10 hr berth???

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rubbergearsnextyear

rubbergearsnextyear Heavy Load Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Lexington, SC
    Legal? Yes (provided you have the hours left on your 70 of course). You probably shoulda logged 15 minutes or so on line 4 for checking the truck in prior to work done, but being down 12 consecutive hours, is still well over the 10 hours required. Legal break for sure, but I hope ya got some rest some how hand.

ruschracing Thanks this.
  4. ruschracing

May 2, 2010
    Riley twp Mi
    Yes plenty of rest and naps, We have electronic logs, my Supervisor sayes I was supposed to stay on duty and when the truck was done go into berth for 10 hours. I was way under my 70 and only had to drive 500 mi home and off for 3 days

5. rubbergearsnextyear

Nov 7, 2007
    Lexington, SC
    No you don't have to log the entire time on duty (unless you were getting paid to help em' wrench on it), just the time you spent checking in and dealing with the shop. Once you're done with that, you're off duty until you get the keys back and pre-trip it and roll down the road.

ruschracing Thanks this.
  6. ruschracing

May 2, 2010
    Riley twp Mi
  7. rubbergearsnextyear

Nov 7, 2007
    Lexington, SC
    No problem. As long as you weren't doing any work (sitting in the lounge and napping and snacking on chips lol and such) you don't have to log all of that. I'm surprised a dispatcher would tell you otherwise as they are usually trying to convince you to "manage" your time better lol. Be safe hand.

ruschracing Thanks this.
  8. ruschracing

May 2, 2010
    Riley twp Mi
    I think he does not like me !!! HAHA..

9. gladiator

gladiator Light Load Member

Apr 17, 2010
    wheeler,mi.
    WOW...I too am not sure why????????

I have always been of the belief that those in a position to manage/dispatch drivers should have at least some idea of FMCR 395. A few times I've found myself explaining, to a dispatcher, the basics of 395. Not saying all are this way, but it's becoming a little more common than I care to admit...

ruschracing Thanks this.
  10. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    I always logged on duty to put truck in the shop (paper work, or waiting and being towed in.) Once that is done I go off duty. Watch TV in the lounge, shower, laundry... etc.

ruschracing Thanks this.
  11. Kabar

Kabar Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pell City Al
    Wrong, Wrong, WRONG! When you are broke down you are on-duty from the time it happens until the time you get the truck back. There is only one way to go off duty. You have to be somewhere where you have the ability to rest. The drivers lounge does not count. You have to be at a terminal, hotel or home. You log off duty and 15 hrs latter get your truck back to go home 200 miles latter have an accident. You will go to jail for man slaughter.
    On duty time means all time from the time a driver begins to work or is required to be in readiness to work until the time the driver is relieved from work and all responsibility for performing work. On-duty time shall include:
    (1) All time at a plant, terminal, facility, or other property of a motor carrier or shipper, or on any public property, waiting to be dispatched, unless the driver has been relieved from duty by the motor carrier;

2) All time inspecting, servicing, or conditioning any commercial motor vehicle at any time;

(6) All time repairing, obtaining assistance, or remaining in attendance upon a disabled commercial motor vehicle;

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.