Logging off Duty

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by ruschracing, May 2, 2010.

1. trucker_101

trucker_101 Heavy Load Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Alberta
    Now remember ,you asked: but *** legally*** is a driver relieved of duty when he or she is sitting at a shipper or receiver waiting to load or unload? This is the Legal answer...Now what is the "norm" is something else altogether.
    I got the info below from the fmcsr website

What Is Off-Duty Time?
    By understanding the definition of on-duty time, you will get a good idea of what is considered off-duty time. In order for time to be considered off duty, you must be relieved of all duty and responsibility for performing work. You must be free to pursue activities of your own choosing and be able to leave the place where your vehicle is parked. If you are not doing any work (paid or unpaid) for a motor carrier, and you are not doing any paid work for anyone else, you may record the time as off-duty time.

ruschracing Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    So since most of us cannot leave a shipper or receiver during loading or unloading, that is actually on-duty? Oooops.:biggrin_25521:

ruschracing Thanks this.
  4. flash8515

flash8515 Bobtail Member

May 7, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I pull into a shipper / receiver I go to line 4 for 15 minutes if its live load / unload. After 15 minutes I go to line 1 period. I'm not loading or unloading. I pull in for fuel...Line 4 until finished fueling. I go in for something to eat...Line 1. If I Suspect I might be at a shipper / receiver for a long period of time I will go to line 2. This might come in handy if lets say I was there 8 hours. I know have the option for the split sleeper. Either way, I don't want to burn my 70 hour clock by staying on line 4 all the time. Every minute counts on these #### E-Logs. Yes, it was much easier with paper logs but what can ya do. Need to keep the wheel turnin, I don't make any money if I'm sitting in a parking lot waiting for a 34 hour restart.

Big Brother is really starting to annoy me.:biggrin_2556:

Last edited: May 5, 2010
    ruschracing Thanks this.
  5. gladiator

gladiator Light Load Member

Apr 17, 2010
    wheeler,mi.
    Sometimes getting a mechanic to stop working isn't much of a problem..lol..

But seriously... a driver can be on line 4 pretty much untill the cows come home..just can't go to line 3 untill a driver shows 10 consecutive hrs on line 1, 2 or a combination that equalls 10 hrs...

ruschracing Thanks this.
  6. Mike_MD

Mike_MD Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2009
    O-Zone
    Hmmmm maybe:

If your employer says log it on-duty... Then you log it on-duty!

Be safe.

ruschracing Thanks this.
  7. Mike_MD

Mike_MD Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2009
    O-Zone
    There's always sleeper berth time.

Be safe.

ruschracing Thanks this.
  8. Sly Fox

Sly Fox Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2009
    So, if you're at a receiver in the sleeper for two hours. You get up to go inside to use the restroom, you take 9 minutes, are you seriously stating you must log a #2 on Line 4?

Regardless of the letter of the law. There's the intent of the law. And that is to keep the outlaws in check and from keeping our companies from making us drive tired.

All in all, I log it as I see fit.

And when I'm at a shipper, if I'm not on the dock or doing paperwork, I'm free. My being tethered to that location doesn't stop me from being able to do off-duty activities. if I want to go for a walk, microwave some food inside the lounge (I don't have a microwave in my truck), use the bathroom, etc. I'm off-duty.

Also, regardless, my company says I do have permission to go off-duty when under a load

AdamT2k and ruschracing Thank this.
  9. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    I was told by a FMCSA/CHP inspector that washing your own rig, and polishing the chrome must be logged in as Line 4 as well...

Installing a CB or a sound system must be logged in on Line 4....

Even if the above were performed by you, and on your property....

Of course...he did include the caveat....If they didn't see polish your rims and you didn't log it....They can't prove it either...

dieselbear and ruschracing Thank this.
  10. IUFAN87

IUFAN87 Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Thats right! You tell'em! NUNYA! LOL!

ruschracing Thanks this.
  11. rubbergearsnextyear

rubbergearsnextyear Heavy Load Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Lexington, SC
    That's why in a later post I remembered to add the caveat about the permission to go off duty from the carriers. I don't know why any carrier would want a driver to log time in the lounge as line 4, but whatever floats their boat lol. You're right though that the carrier has the ultimate say in that.

ruschracing Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.