logic of wiring external speaker

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by nickajshelden, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Dirtymartini15x

Dirtymartini15x Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2016
    You're going to have a bad time trying to use stereo speakers as they aren't the right ohm load for the output of the CB. And If you have a problem hearing with an external speaker then you have a problem with your radio. But it sounds like no matter what anyone says you are dead set on doing something that isn't going to work well.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nickajshelden

nickajshelden Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2017
    :| please read my response above. The radio is looking for a low ohm load, like headphones or amplifier. I know how these things work as far as that. This is not the typical output of a CB (probably cuz it's just a cheap Cobra CB). The speakers in my cabin are unamplified little things I tacked in there a while back, each one is spec-similar to a CB external speaker, but my CB doesn't have enough power to drive even a normal CB external speaker. It needs a signal amplifier, or more accurately, a speaker driver.

4. Dirtymartini15x

Dirtymartini15x Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2016
    I have plenty of "just cobra 29's" and uniden radios and all of them work perfectly fine with an external speaker. I can't even turn my radio's up past half volume with my bearcat 15w speaker attached because it's way too loud. CB speakers are 8ohms btw.

jessejamesdallas Thanks this.
  5. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Exactly...CB External speakers like the Bearcat, and the Motorola's like I posted earlier don't need any kind of amplifier and do not need to be wired into a power source...They simply plug into the back of the radio...If you can't hear using one, then either you have one loud truck, or the radio has a issue...Nothing wrong with Cobra radios, and they have plenty of power to push a external speaker to it's limits...

Problem could be, maybe your buying some of those small external speakers...I agree those things are worse than the speaker inside most radios...waist of money. A good 4" external speaker should be plenty loud enough for you.

Dirtymartini15x Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.