Lohr vs Cotrell

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Meta, Jan 27, 2024.

1. Meta

Meta Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Starting a new job next week and the only trucks available are lohr and I have never touched them. I could wait a month for a cotrell they have at a body shop currently but I decided to give lohr a go and get going. Any quick tip/pointers on the difference? Only difference they told me is lohr rides a little lower and is ever so slightly heavier

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    I'm running the first G20TL that came off the line. First thing is that it doesn't vee like a CX-09 because of the front post geometry. I still do it occasionally, but not with trucks in the belly. It does work if you back an Expedition in the belly.

#9 always gets backed on if it's Explorer-sized or smaller. Always close the #9 flippers.

Learn the modular pockets. 16 open holes for big SUVs & pickups, unless they're a Tremor or similar , then 18. Raptors are a touch wide to drop in, 11 holes will gain a couple inches without getting into the sidewall. I use 11 for most other SUVs, just because that's what i get moving one tray, but most mid-sized can go to 14 holes if height's an issue. For initial setup, leave 6 open holes at front of pocket, then a tray, then 6 more open holes, etc. That let's you grab one tray and have the 16 holes. (I haul Fords, so lots of trucks)

The long stinger loads the drives a bit heavier than brand x, if you're in a Western Star, find suspension pressure in the DataStar: half the psi is drive weight, so 68 psi = 34k#.

The front of the upper deck tracks with the center post instead of rocking the opposite way like Cottrell. Just be careful if you adjust the center post down, as the front will come down too.

Also, unless I'm loading stuff with very low ground clearance, I keep the center pins in the top front hole. They won't walk off that way, and it prevents the top deck from getting into the tandem frame.

General rule of thumb: if #2 & #4 don't touch with the trailer raised all the way up, turn clearance is fine. I generally drop #2 after loading #3 on nine car loads, keeps the tail of #2 deck out of the way.

I have quite few pics in the Carhauler Pic thread.

Oxbow, Meta, brian991219 and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. Meta

Meta Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2019
    why does #9 get backed on always i did see that that position looked *funky* with hump/dips is bottom clearance an issue with small sedan or vans?
    these are peterbilts goin to scale the first few to see how to adjust my weight estimates
    So instead of the rear post coming down with the center the front does? that going to take some getting used to

I was told i could load #3 from either the top or bottom which would would be easier/better?

5. Hammer166

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Mine doesn't have the bottom load capability.

As far as #9, backing it in gets the rear crossmember (which is further back than on a CX-09) past the windshield. Never had anything touch bottom there.

Both the front and rear posts track the center post going up & down. Should have dawned on me you had a bottom loader when you said it weighed close to a Cottrell. Be careful with the pinch in the bottom, that slide out behind the cab sticks too far out, in my opinion, and is why I don't have a bottom loader.

Something else i should have mentioned, you can put a big unit over the tandem with killing the height of the top back unit. I'll often load 2 trucks on top, with a small suv in the nose and another pickup over the tandem with an Explorer on #9. That'll come as low as putting the bottom truck in nose, and the weight balances better.

Banker Thanks this.
  6. Meta

Meta Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Number 9 backwards makes A LOT of sense and it drops alot lower than the cortrell that thing is awesome get things down really low

I see what you mean by both post track the center now the front isn't as bad as the back but it does put stuff close I also feel like these raise the top decks stupid high tho not that thats a bad thing just feels weird having all that room when loading the bottom

Speaking of space tho is it just me or do these lohr have like more room width wise
    I feel like I got a foot room on each side of the cars when I'm loading them
    The posts tho their placement is just marvelous, every one of them is just, out of the way I don't have to worry about opening car doors as much bc they just not there.

I agree that the one behind the cab sticks out too much no car sticks out the axle far enough to warrant it sticking out that much at least not that I've loaded so far

The truck under you mean on 8backwards with the steers in the pockets of the tandems or slplit the whole pick up with it sharing part of 9?
    Here's my first two loads I did
    20240201_135812.JPG
    20240209_094153.JPG

One thing I do find kind of annoying is the pins and the direction of that the tie downs spin but I think the tie down is more of they speced it more than lohr make them that way

Banker, Hammer166 and Oxbow Thank this.
  7. Hammer166

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Yes, in the pockets. I've put Broncos, Expeditions, and Pickups there.

8. igor4375

igor4375 Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2024
    Got a questions not related to the Thread but not sure how to post im new here, i got a cottrell 7512 year 2004 that i recently bought and the top deck is somewhat weak (it gets proper pressure so dont think its PTO) but i cant even lift a suv up in the back if thats the only vehicle on the trailer. any body got some suggestions ?

Attached Files:

9. Hammer166

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    It looks like you've got it slip plated, so not that, but IIRC the shallow post angles at the back of those trailers often required picking up the middle first to pull those back posts more vertical so they could lift. It's been a long time, and I didn't run one for very long, but that is stuck in the memory for some reason, although I thought it was only diesels that gave issues.

It's also possible the seals are shot on the pistons themselves, resulting in an internal leak in the cylinder. Watch the pressure to make you're getting full pressure when those cylinders are stalled out.

10. igor4375

igor4375 Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2024

Hey Hammer166 the frist deck on my trailer when i lift it the right side moves quicker than the left side, is that because of the flow divider getting weak? its properly lubricated

11. Hammer166

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    There are no flow dividers, all the lines run to a center tee fitting to keep the hose lengths equal. Mine stays within an inch side to side. If it's getting further off than that, make sure you don't have a hose kinked somewhere, or it could be a piston not sealing correctly.

Even though it's not necessary, I slip plated mine and was much happier, operation was smoother.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.