lol

Discussion in 'Werner' started by TruckerJerry, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    This is exactly what I was talking about. This is another thread on here from another driver that has twice as much stick time as the werner trainer and he is asking questions about winter driving. This is why decent co's want seasoned drivers to train people. 1 year on the road does not give you enough experience to have been in enough situations to be training someone. They say you can train in 6 months?:biggrin_2554:

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...ing-the-big-rigs-snow-ice-20.html#post1093351

outerspacehillbilly Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. notarps4me

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Who laughed at you? I have read each post and I don't see anyone laughing at you.:biggrin_2556:

4. Call_me_Tom

Call_me_Tom Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2009
    NorCal

5. LavenderTrucker

LavenderTrucker Medium Load Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Omaha,NE
    When I decided to become a trucker I would go to a truckstop a talk to drivers to get information. So just over a year ago, I was at a truckstop and talked to a werner driver who was just stating out, he was jus out of orientation and begining his 3rd day with the trainer. We exhanged emails and have kept in touch over the year.
    He had two trainers during his training time. The first had only been driving for 9 months and the other for 16 years. In his opinion, the newer driver was more consciencious and played by the rules. The experience driver had a lot of bad habits and had a "What happens in the truck stays in the truck" mentallity. He said the guy would get in heated arguments on the cb, drove aggressively and not only would drink in the truck during down time, but eve did so while driving a couple of times. He also, made the training hangout in the truckstop a couple of times while he hooked up with a lot lizzard. He said he just put up with it because he didn't want to make waves and just wanted to get through his training and get his truck.
    After I graduaed from school, I told him I was going to go with werner and hoped that I would get a trainer with a lot of experience. He told me t hope for a good trainer, but don't assume that an experieced driver is the best. He is staying with werner, because he is making money, and says he is treated well, gets loads and hometime.
    He is now considering becoming a trainer, because it would be more money, and bcause he remembes how it sucked to put up with the BS the experienced driver delivered.
    I am sure not all experienced trainers are like the one he had, who is no longer a trainer, but, I also think that it is possible that a less experienced driver can still be a good trainer.

6. notarps4me

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    I was talking about the recruiter who is paid to lie. Here is a thought tho. If you are this sensitive you might want to rethink being a driver. You need some thick skin out here. Another tip.. Don't turn on your CB. You might think someone is laughing at you...:biggrin_2554:

7. notarps4me

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Lavender. There are old hands that should not be a trainer as well. The new guys you are talking about do not have enough stick time to have encountered enough situations out here to know how to react in different situations. Someone with a few months stick time might act decent, but does not know enough to pass on things that will keep the student and those around them alive if something goes wrong.

8. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State
    Look fact is there is plenty of drivers out here that act like you say the one trainer did. They should not be training period. Fact is as Notarps has said a driver with 6 months or even 2-3 years has does not have enough experience to train a rookie. Nothing replaces experience.

notarps4me Thanks this.
  9. ccolvin

ccolvin Medium Load Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Taft, Ca
    i agree to that, im glad i had a trainer with 15 years of exp and 10 of those with safety awards. I got the training I needed. If i need any advice i ask my dad who has 30+ years of experience. Yea a newer driver may or may not be more by the book. I was thought how to run my log 2 ways (one being described as the money maker) and the 99% legal way. I never noticed a difference in a team environment so i ran the legal way. So even though I thought about training i decided not to. Ive never driven in extreme winter conditions maybe a flurry here and there but thats it.

notarps4me Thanks this.
  10. notarps4me

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Exactly. This is nothing against the new guys. We all started new at one time. I think a person needs 5 years of stick time to train. That gives them a well rounded aspect to the world of trucking. 5 years will cover a lot of ground and a lot of different situations that a green driver will not know about. I have a cousin who has been an O/O for 30 some years. I met him in a truck stop for coffee a couple years back and he was telling me that there was a woman that was having a hard time hitting a dock. She had the place backed up and there was a open dock he was waiting, but could not get in it on account of her.

There was 2 of them in the truck. The one on the ground was trying to help ground guide her in. My cousin asked him if he would spot it for her since she was holding up traffic. He said I can't. She is the trainer...:biggrin_25524:

11. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State
    Notarps a friend of mine ran into a similar situation a couple weeks ago. He calls me to tell me about it and I just shake my head. He was somewhere delivering and this CRE driver was backing everybody up trying to hit the dock (wide open lot where all he had to do was line up and straight line back it in) but he has no clue and he is fighting it trying to alley dock between a couple trucks. The guy finally lets my buddy go by so he can back in and 20 seconds later after ha backs in he walks past the CRE driver still trying to hit the dock. The CRE driver stops him and asks, hey can you help me back this in? So my buddy says sure, the CRE driver pops the brakes and jumps into the jumpseat. Of course my buddy looks at him and says how the hell you gonna back it in from, over there? CRE replies I thought you were gonna help me. :biggrin_25513: So my buddy tells him yeah I'm gonna help you but I ain't gonna do it for ya! So he helps him get in the dock by explaining to him how to get setup properly. After he hits the dock he makes him pull out and do it again. The guy was very thankful and told him that he had alot trouble becuase the guy that had trained him barely taught him anything and had trouble backing n everywhere they went also. Pretty pathetic and dangerous. Whats also upsetting is that this guy had been trying to hit that dock for 20 minutes and none of those other drivers setting there even offered to help they just sat there and watched this kid make a fool of himself .:biggrin_25513::biggrin_25510:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.