Lone mountain have now brand new trucks!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by mp4694330, Apr 13, 2014.

1. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Never known a Freightliner to be anything but a throw away truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Just like any other truck. Depends on how you take care of them

4. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    when CF designed freightliner it was made with planned obsolescence in mind, nothing has changed, that's why fleets buy them, buy'em cheap and throw them away.

5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    BS... FL is no different than any other truck. The chassis and mechanical parts are the same in every truck regardless of make and all of those components can be replaced, rebuilt as needed. I call them throw away trucks too but only because the interiors are so cheap and rattle trappy. That aside a truck is truck.

6. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    http://www.landlinemag.com/Magazine/2013/July/Section2/journeys.aspx

Leland James, president of Consolidated Freightways, had the desire for an aluminum cabover. Glenn and Ken Self were part of the original team of fewer than eight to build and develop that truck.

The original pioneer team at Freightliner developed a culture second to no other truck manufacturer. The pioneers were focused on lightweight trucks that were also very serviceable. Trucks designed initially by mechanics from the shop floor were made efficiently and friendly to work on.

The Freightliner culture would revolve around becoming the “Hallmark of Custom Built Trucks.”

In the early days, many trucks were developed as first model for a customer need or idea. The words “no” to a customer for its individual needs were not part of the Freightliner culture or vocabulary. If a customer had a unique need, Freightliner would build it. Freightliner had trucks in the 1950s that achieved 4 million miles. One truck, known as the Hyster Truck, is on display in the Smithsonian. It was restored after achieving in excess of 4 million miles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consolidated_Freightways

In 1939, CF Inc. bought Freightways Manufacturing, re-branding it as Freightliner Manufacturing. White Motor Company marketed and sold the excess trucks that Consolidated didn't need, as it expanded, creating the White Freightliner name. Consolidated also built their own trailers, eliminating the middleman and allowing for costs to stay low. By purchasing custom trucks from a company they owned and building their own trailers, CF was able to hold a strategic advantage over its competition. Because of a deregulation bill passed by Congress in 1980, on July 31, 1981, CF Parent company Consolidated Freightways, Inc. sold its truck manufacturing business and the Freightliner brand to Daimler AG.[9]

RollingRecaps Thanks this.
  7. dlstruck

dlstruck Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    People like to #### on Freightliner but from a business standpoint, you get the most bang for your buck. I care about the engine and transmission, not what they're in. Sure, the interior can use some work and it's not the most comfortable truck, but I'm trying to grow my business right now, not show off. As an O/O, you also need to get under the truck at least once a week to check everything there. I've saved thousands by finding little issues early before they became expensive failures. A few weeks back, I got home and found 4 bolts on my drive line that were completely loose. Another 1000 miles and I might've been dealing with a very expensive driveline failure on the road.

Maybe one day I'll get a nice Pete or KW for myself, but I'm just starting out so there's no point in anything flashy right now. My 25k Freightliner gets paid the same rates a brand new 150k truck does but without any truck payment.

8. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Lightweight and serviceable , light weight trucks are not durable, so use them up and throw them away. Try to grease one of those junks, the tell you there sealed for life, ya right.

9. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I guess you didn't read the part about Freightliner trucks in the 1950's achieving 4,000,000 million miles? Do some actual reading on Freightliner's history then come back and apologize for making stuff up.

flood Thanks this.
  10. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    I guess you haven't seen the fine craftsmanship of any of those junks, compare door even side box doors of a junkliner and any other truck vast difference, Frieghtliners made by and for CF were by far different than the Mexican made junk put out today.

poppapump1332 and mslashbar Thank this.
  11. RollingRecaps

RollingRecaps Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Interesting. Thanks for posting that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.