Loneliness on the Road?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by awesumpossum333, Jan 25, 2022.

1. goga

goga Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Earth..
    I actually started to truck in order to avoid divorce. Still happened, even though a much later, than I anticipated. Kids.. we're always in contact, best friends. It all depends on the situation, there is no template and/or pattern.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    It's way easier than it used to be, especially with video chat apps like Marco Polo. I didn't start driving until 2004, so I thankfully I missed out on the payphone era.

It just depends on what you need imo. I preferred regional routes with a dedicated ltl food carrier that gave me 36+hrs off every weekend and normally a night or day @ home mid week, which was enough to maintain a relationship. I tried OTR and it wasn't horrible, but I would get lonely on those 34 HR resets out in the middle of nowhere.

Last Call Thanks this.
  4. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Ahhhhh the payphone era....it was sooooooo great ...
    Back in the day when it was safe to park in a truck stop because the only thing that was probably gonna hit your truck was a lot lizzard banging on your door
    I use to love to walk thur the phone room about 10 pm and overhear all the drivers talking to loved ones.. alot had tears in their eyes others would tell thei wives They Loved them& missed them... I would watch them walk out the door go to their truck and 3 mins later had a lot lizzard in their sleeper...
    JMO but a walk thru the phone room when I fueled... is what kept me aligned with the choices I made in my life..I was happy I had no relationship nor any family
    But that is just my view

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2022
  5. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    Find a better company. The whole 10 hours and then driving thing is a load of ####.

I take off however long I need to. Some days that's 8hours others it's 12+ the only thing it does is change my paycheck and not by much if I drive hard on the short days.

Malt Ball Cult Thanks this.
  6. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Is it acceptable to knock on another trucker's door and ask if he wants some company?

Asking for a friend.

Opus and Last Call Thank this.
  7. awesumpossum333

awesumpossum333 Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2022
    I hear ya man, we're here for ya!

Malt Ball Cult Thanks this.
  8. goga

goga Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Earth..
    I often feel more "lonely" in between ppl, than by myself.

D.Tibbitt and Aamcotrans Thank this.
  9. fairshake

fairshake Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Chickenville, BFE
    Most buy head sets and talk on the phone all day like little girls, I threw my phones out the window and don't deal with lonely people.

D.Tibbitt and Last Call Thank this.
  10. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    Interesting Topic.
    I've NEVER been "lonely" whether before Trucking nor after, there was always ME, MYSELF and I and assorted other Selves.
    I preferred Solitude. Became accustomed to SOLO Hiking and Trail Blazing when Younger and so no surprise in Transportation.
    As long as the equipment was Working, there were no problems other than BROKErs, and dispatch harassing about "Where are you, When will You Be to "some place".
    I began OTR before cell phones eliminated Land Lines.
    Truck Stops had Phone Banks (some in groups of 4+ phones in main thoroughfare) as well phones at Restaurant counter seats AND Tables for 1-800 calls. Some Truck Stops verify still having Phone Jacks at Tables and Counters, for Historical or Hysterical Purposes.

Loneliness is Mental/Emotional, and it's a minor/major thing.
    Many People can easily be LONELY in a Crowd.

Utilize LOGICAL suggestions in this Thread.
    Stay AWAY from Lot Lizards, they're not a solution and easily "offer" something non eliminating.
    Just Like "Picking Up" women or whichever at Bars, Saloons, other.
    - - - -
    CHEERS!!

11. LoSt_AgAiN

LoSt_AgAiN Heavy Load Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Cue the music…” you don’t have to be lonelyyyy at FARMERSONLY.commmmmmm… city folk just don’t get it!!!”:D

Northern Nomad and Last Call Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.