Loner or outgoing personality. which are you?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Maj. Jackhole, Jun 15, 2018.

1. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I'm an extroverted introvert. Perfectly happy alone, but I do just fine with people and large crowds when needed. I spent 30 years in a career running a company and had to conduct meetings and deal with people every day. Now I enjoy time on the road with nothing but the radio and my own thoughts.

Hegemeister and Maj. Jackhole Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    this describes me perfectly.....I like being here chatting with nameless, faceless, voiceless people, but that's the deal.
    I see people talking on their phones all the time and I wonder what would someone have to say that much? I literally spend less time on the phone in a month than many / most do in a day. I chat / message my wife every night, but I don't talk on the phone. I contract for Schneider and one of the biggest pluses is that I don't have to talk to anyone unless there's a problem, (which is rare). I frankly couldn't bear "developing relationships" with brokers or "negotiating rates". At Schneider, it is what it is.....take it or leave it, it's up to you.....and it works perfectly for me.
    I have nothing to say at truckstops; I'm either there for fuel or to sleep. However, if you strike up a conversation with me, you'll find that I'm friendly, kind and helpful when I can be, but you've got about 5 minutes......make the most of it.
    OTR trucking is the perfect job for me, and I've never been happier in my life. Mostly because I don't have to deal with people......."here's yo' stuff, where do you want it?".

Hegemeister and Maj. Jackhole Thank this.
  4. tman78

tman78 Medium Load Member

Jul 2, 2014
    That video is quite not correct.

Introverts (or those of us with introverted tendencies) tend to recharge by spending time alone. They lose energy from being around people for long periods of time, particularly large crowds. Extroverts, on the other hand, gain energy from other people.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    Suspect Zero, Maj. Jackhole and skellr Thank this.
  5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Just wait...some educated loser will try to create a label for you too.

6. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I guess I'm a loner. I don't like eating in the tv room at the truck stops. I have no use for all that rookie wisdom. And tall tails of going to be rich next week. Lol.

7. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Whatever they come up with, I'm sure I've been called worse.

Suspect Zero, tman78 and Oldironfan Thank this.
  8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Told a story a few years ago, about my best friend in kindergarten. His name was Marvin. I don’t know why, but we became great friends. I’m one of those people who taught myself how to read, and I actually amazed my mom when I brought out a graph I made of all the genealogies in the Bible book of Genesis (I was trying to figure out who died in the Flood). Anyway, started school, became really good friends with Marvin.

When we went to first grade, Marvin struggled a bit, and the teachers convinced his parents and him that he was “special needs.” They pulled Marvin out of the class and put him with the others like him. Even rode the short bus. So, I see Marvin, run up to greet my best friend...and he was fascinated with window licking. Now Marvin and I before that time had other friends, and I spoke with the others about Marvin. We couldn’t figure out what happened to him. One minute, he was like the rest of us, and then suddenly he’s a window licker. It always puzzled me how someone could walk up to another person, and convince the person to be something that he wasn’t before. How is that even possible? We didn’t change, Marvin did. They convinced him that he was a window licker and Marvin licked windows. It was like “Invasion of the DumbArse Body Snatcher”. One minute, you’re just like everyone one else, next you’re eating boogers and licking windows and doorknobs.

So then I hear this stuff about introverts and extroverts and how introverts are drained from being around people and extroverts are drained from being alone. Really? So, if you are neither what are you? Covert?

KillingTime Thanks this.
  9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    This morning I had a petit mal/absence seizure walking down Mallory Street in Phoebus/Hampton Va. I don't remember leaving my apartment and a Hampton City cop found me just looking at the sky and (woke) me. I was so confused he asked me for my ID so he could get me home. You can never have enough friends. However i really do put a high value on my alone time. Even with that seizure I would have come to and got home. I have sit on the beach and start looking at the water and then look at my watch and 2 or 3 hours has went by.

VIDEODROME, KillingTime and TripleSix Thank this.
  10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Fixed it for you. Friends are people that put a high value to your time.

11. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    LOL thanks. I can't tell you how much I want to get hired by a truck driving school. Teaching backing and general classroom material. I can't, no insurance company even on a driving range will insure me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.