Longest Live Load/Unload? Can u top this?

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by shaken, Dec 22, 2006.

1. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    Has to be in a lettuce packing house, Salinas, CA 1/3 of the way loaded, the cooler went down, sat for 49 hours. Had to take a shower in the field sprinkler cause back then there wasn't any where to shower. Thankfully I got some one to deliver food to the truck gate.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. yevgeniyv.1980

yevgeniyv.1980 Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Poconos,PA
    The longest would be:from 10 am tuesday till thursday 2pm;and from 8 am monday till 10 pm wednsday.Loading antique from apartment in Miami Beach last December.Both times 2 nights in a motel paid by customer/company.Each time gross was about $600(hourly $15/h,q.feet@$20/q.feet) plus tips.:smt043

4. keelady

keelady Light Load Member

In Ft. Smith Arkansas has become my first 'hated' shipper in my short truck driving career. We had an appointment to load there at 1:30 p.m. on Monday. Got there at 12:40 (well, really around 12:15, but it took us 25 minutes to figure out how to get in the place). This building is located on a corner in downtown Ft. Smith -- a one way street goes by the front where there are 3 docks and the lot in back is only accessible two ways. First, if you notice the little dirt path that turns off the corner of the intersection between the third dock and a wall that runs the length of the intersecting street -- you can turn in there (watch out for the light pole and stop sign though). The second way is to turn from the one way and try to go in the back. Not recommended as it is a very sharp right hand u-turn to get in, and if you don't lose your truck or trailer in the railroad tracks that run next to this driveway as you turn in (the drop off inside the tracks is over a foot), you'll probably take out the stop sign at the corner or maybe even the light pole. We managed to back out of this drive (what fun) and go around the block to manuever the first drive we saw (as we passed it). This drive isn't much wider than the truck and the brick wall along it has rubber 'bumpers' built into it to protect the trucks (or maybe the wall). There are holes in the dirt almost as wide as the truck and the workers park their cars along the wall at the end of this drive so you have to go around their cars. There are 3 more docks in the back lot. We got there, checked in and manuevered into a spot to wait to get into a dock. About 3:30, they told us to go into dock 2 -- in the front. The only way to back into this dock, is to drive the wrong way down the one way street, line up across the railroad tracks that run along the building and try not to hit the giant boulders that the building across the street conveniently put along the edge of the street directly across from the docks to keep trucks off the grass. As we set the truck up across the tracks, we heard a train, we looked at each other, then looked towards the building, there was a train heading right for us! The gate started to come down and my co-driver put the truck in reverse to get us off the tracks -- he wasn't real happy when the train conductor blew his horn as he was backing up. After the train and traffic cleared, we lined up again and backed into the narrow hole. I watched the boulders in the front to make sure he didn't wreck his newly repaired front bumper (hit a dog on the freeway one night). He got in there ok, but needed to pull up in order to hit the dock straight, as he went to pull up, a Cal-Ark truck turned the wrong way down the one way street and stopped right in front of us to wait for the train (yes, another one). After the train finished, the truck moved and the traffic cleared, we finally got into the dock about 4:00. They finished loading us around 8:30 and when they told us they put 43,000 lbs on, we told them we would be overweight. They said they couldn't do anything about that without a scale ticket (the closest scale was 5 miles away in Oklahoma). Then, my co-driver looked at the rest of the Bill of Lading and saw that it said the load was going to Waterville Mississippi -- not San Deigo California. They said that was the load they had on file and it went to Mississippi. We wouldn't close the doors of the trailer before we straightened this out, and when my co-driver was in the truck talking to the broker and his dispatcher, the girl from the shipper had the driver of the truck next to us close the doors so she could seal it. After much discussion and many phone calls, it was determined that this was the correct load and it was supposed to deliver in San Diego on the 7th (Wednesday) a.m. We left, drove the 5 miles to the CAT scale and were nearly 1800 lbs overweight (no surprise). Drove the 5 miles back, went back down the little, narrow, potholed driveway and showed them the scale ticket. They backed us into a door in the back this time and took a pallet (2,000 lbs)off the truck. Of course on the BOL, they said they took 5,000 lbs off -- but maybe they're just not good at math. Finally got out of there around 11:30 p.m. Monday night and had to be in San Diego at 7:00 a.m. Wednesday. Needless to say we have been a couple of driving fools. Hope never to see that place again.

5. Aussie

Aussie <strong>Thunder From DownUnder</strong>

May 7, 2006
    Lynchburg, VA
    They finished loading us around 8:30 and when they told us they put 43,000 lbs on, we told them we would be overweight. They said they couldn't do anything about that without a scale ticket (the closest scale was 5 miles away in Oklahoma).
    Weyhauser has a habit of doing this as well - was loaded at 46,000 with a Volvo at Washington CH, OH. They refused to off load 2 skids without the Scale Ticket so went to nearest scale at the junction of US35 and I-71 - the TA - was packets of computer/photocopier printing paper. They were'nt impressed being made to remove two skids as it upset their load schedual. I was never sent back there.

6. Raetta

Raetta Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2007
    southern louisiana
    I had a truck with a load of rubber extender oil in north dakota back in december took them 36 hours to unload.

7. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    18 hours was normal time for unloading bulk potatos at fritolay. And I did that every week for as long as the spuds were running out of WI and MI.

You'd thinkthat since they just put the trailer on a ramp and tilt it up on end and let them roll off that it wouldn't take so long but never failed almost 24 hours every time.

Also loading lettuce in Yuma AZ was notoriously slow. I'd get there in the morning and wouldn't get out untill wel after dark.

8. charnock

charnock Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Indiana
    16.5 hours @ dock in Morristown, TN. No detention / No problom, I promptly quit.:cheese:

9. wallbanger

wallbanger "Enemy of showers everywhere"

You know what's funny, when I was running team reefer, every time we'd get to Salinas to get Lettuce, the longest we sat waiting to get loaded was 4, maybe 5 hours. And then usually we'd be loaded within 20-30 minutes. And T&A (yes, that the cos name) was terrible for hot-loading product. We pulped every load 'cause once they tried to load lettuce on that was around 55 degrees!

Nostalgic Thanks this.
  10. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    once they got started it went fast. it was just getting a dock that too forever. Then again I only ran west coast the two or three months the year when the prices were real high. ANd at that point every reefer in the country is out there looking to load. Otherwise I hauled greens from southern GA to detroit every week

11. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

Just like today at the P&O port in Baltimore today.
    I'll never be back. :smt076 :smt076

I should have been smart enough to turn the load down when I found out it delivered at the port. I would have been livid if it would have caused me to loose a load. As it is I load a good paying oversize monday.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.