Longest Time Out On The Road Legally

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by born&raisedintheusa, Jan 21, 2014.

1. bergy

bergy Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Had to read that twice. Good one. (I sure hope you are joking)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    I always started getting burned out at 6 weeks and had to be home by 7 weeks. That's how I ran. Hometime = short payday week!

4. WorldofTransportation

WorldofTransportation Heavy Load Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Your mother
    He died at home.. took a local job did it for 4 or 5 year..... Said he fell over and hurt his arm.. Next day he was good.. Gonna take another day off and head back out.. He died that night in his chair of a heart attack.. It had been creeping up on him and he ignored the signs.. Him falling over was him passing out and dying.. the ground jarred him back to life.. His arm wasn't hurt because he "bunged" it on the floor it was his body telling him it was going to quit if he didn't get help..

and yes the medical examiner said him"jarring himself (falling) on the floor gave him 2 more days"...

Moral of the story is don't ignore your bodys peckerheads..

and yes that is a true story.. While Benghazi was burning in 2012.(the exact time).. . I found him dead in his house..... Don't ignore your bodys.. they will tell you when crap isn't right

Funny thing I remember the officer that came to his house to work the scenes name was Sgt. Mooseburger..

OPUS 7 Thanks this.
  5. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    The only limit is Hours of service. Depending on schedule you may want to take a 34 hour reset on the road sometimes, but other then that you can drive 365 days a year. Unless your company feels different, most don't require you to take vacation. Some will pay out your vacation ays if you ont use them. (some don't offer any vacation) But really there is nothing saying you ever need to come home.

If you do stay out on the road, I recommend a UPS box over a po box since a UPS box has a real address. Some people cant ship stuff to PO box.

6. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    If the driver wants to stay out, why shouldn't the company help them do what they want to do.

7. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    I don't think it proves big carriers don't care, they just do things to accomdate drivers that live to work.
    Not that I think much of big carriers but why does a driver need a home to be good driver?
    I also know of some drivers which live and drive in some very large sleepers. (Not me)

8. 900,000-tons-of-steel

900,000-tons-of-steel Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Florida
    If I had no kids and was a road warrior, this is how I'd roll.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJOFVJgtPDI

9. TruckerAviator

TruckerAviator Bobtail Member

Aug 5, 2017
    I have a dream to become a pilot and I need 50 k .. I love my truck & I'm ok with staying 7 8 9 months in it .. to save of course! I gave up fun & I have no family here im Latino from Nicaragua & I married An American .. things didn't go well my fault I admit but I'd sacrifice everything for my dream.
    Just want to fly one day & proudly say I'm a pilot & I was a truck driver before it.
    Excuse my English
    Think there's no limits

10. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    I think for a single guy or a couple without kids, living in the truck for a couple of years would be a way to save up a great big pile of cash pretty quick. Can't imagine doing it forever, but to save up the money to go to college, to pay for a house or just jump-start retirement? Why not.

11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Boss's son is a pilot for southwest. Spent $117G for school. Starting wage supposedly $18G He makes what I make now. And I didn't pay for school. But I'd still rather have his job.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.