Look ma, no converter dolly!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TomCougar, Oct 15, 2019.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Just watching the short log trucks in BC run down the highway with a triaxle wagon or quad wagon in tow is enough for me to say A-trains are a dumb idea. Wobbling all over the place.

okiedokie and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I think what you call A trains are just what we call doubles. lol, Some are bad about wiggling their hind end at you, and some are n't so bad, I think the weight distribution has a lot to do with it. I pull the long ones and they don't actually wiggle.

okiedokie and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  4. truckaholic001

truckaholic001 Light Load Member

Apr 25, 2016
    Nevada
  5. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    We swapped over to a short log setup for a while. Two of the pups we used we got from the pellet mill, the one I pulled pulled nice, the other one wiggled pretty bad. both had extendable tongues. The one that pulled bad had some play in it, so we welded some deals to be able to take all the slack out and it helped tremendously.
    I also had an air pintle hitch that takes out the lack, while the other trucks didn't, that may have played a roll in it too.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  6. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Id love to try that from the drivers seat just once lol

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  7. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    After seeing the aftermath of that one, I would sure not want to stay in the truck. Some guys started dropping their trailer and pulling the tractor off after that happened.

8. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    I'm thinking 'YOU SHOULD BE WORKING ON THE RAILROAD.... all the livelong day!' ... just to pass your time away. That way you can HEAR the air horns blowing, rise up so early in the morn......et al.

Lots of GREAT info here, not that it matters to you, whatsoever, playing videos from Austrailia.

I've driven pups, I've pulled for FX/LX (and YES we can back these, with some skillset) but.. nope on the B and C trains, in my resume.

@TripleSix ... ^^^^ look who's back, LoL! ;)

Mods, don't hate. I just don't see the point in some of this, but if'n y'all do, delete my post.

@FlaSwampRat ... really nice to have you around TTR, IMHO. Same with y'all Canada folks. I quit hauling into y'alls territory a few years back; still have my credo, just not Australia. I mean, well I guess I could.

I'm looking at NASCAR hauling now, tbh. Job openings abound. GET YOUR CDL, o/p. Sheesh.

NASCAR hauler catches fire en route to Kansas Speedway

NASCAR hauler crashes down embankment en route to Kansas Speedway

FlaSwampRat and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  9. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I used to haul alfalfa cubes to the port of Los Angeles. We always dropped putting on the tipper so I assumed that trailers are always dropped on the tipper.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  10. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Another thing I've never done (adding to my 'happy' list on a daily...) do people REALLY ride up on that thing, in the tractor, ever?!?!?

I'm not fond of heights, tbh. Sheesh.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  11. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    I saw a flatbedder pulling rocky doubles through mn a while ago.

they aren’t legal here I guess he was just going rogue unless he had a special pass or something.

same with iowa. I’d always see rocky double tanks close to the Nebraska border hauling UAN. Do they get a pass since it’s agriculture?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.