Looking at a 99 emissions era Pre EGR D12

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by John Bertucci, Mar 2, 2024.

1. John Bertucci

John Bertucci Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2019
    Anyone running these trucks? I have heard ludicrous tales about their longevity and fuel efficiency. I would love to hear from someone who is running one today. I have scoured the forum and ran into ten year old forums but nothing of late and mostly emissions EGR era and beyond D12. The pre EGR D12 sounds like a really stout and reliable platform and if thats the case, Id like to hear about the engine brake as well. I like a good engine brake!

Thanks again truckas

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Define (Ludicrous)

4. John Bertucci

Jul 5, 2019
    Ludicrous as in 2 million miles and counting without a rebuild
    and 8 mpg

5. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    Got my 03 DDEC 4 in my FLD and LOVE it! Have the following:
    Programming by “Leon” (do a search) with a 3 position switch. 500, 550, 600hp.
    5519 injectors
    Full tilt manifold
    Borg Warner 702 turbo
    Donaldson flow thru muffler
    Eaton easy shift 2150 clutch
    Straight 10 w/ 370 rears

don’t b afraid to cruise down the road at 1500+ rpms. Detroits love the higher rpms. DO NOT lug it down low! Mine climbs like a cat from hell and sounds great with the weed burner.
    If you upgrade, an EGT gauge is a MUST HAVE! Get one and make you first 2 upgrades 1) programming and 2) 702 turbo. Can b done for under $2k
    Engine brakes are a “little” weaker than other makes, but not bad. Trick is to get a decent old school mechanic that can set em right. I run overhead on mine every 150k.
    Popped head gasket on her at 870k or so, and figured at $2k to replace, I just went ahead and inframed for about $19k. That was in 2014. I only do about 80-100k per year.
    Good thing bout these motors is the replacement costs. New turbo at Summit racing? $875. Bought mine there at their store on I-76 in Ohio and took me about an hour to put it on.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
    nikmirbre and John Bertucci Thank this.
  6. John Bertucci

Jul 5, 2019
    You make a great case for the 60 series

7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    I assume Volvo d12? I have seen few with 2 mil miles. Very reliable engine, but low on power. Nobody likes it in the hills

8. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    As for the D 12, there’s a tube that comes up over the top of the valve cover. Where the pipe meets the tube, put a plug in there. That prevents the egr gasses from going back into ur motor and the ecm won’t know the difference.
    This does two things, the first is it prevents all that city crappy air from going back into your motor, the next is your motor runs a lot cleaner and cooler. Your EGR‘s will still open and close, but without any of the exhaust gas is going across them they will stay cleaner and they will also last longer. That’s the main problem with the Volvo EGR valves, They get dirty and then you have to replace them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.