Looking at D-16 Volvo engine

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by greenlight, Jul 27, 2009.

1. greenlight

greenlight Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Dingmans Ferry, PA
    Hi everyone! I am willing to buy a truck with D-16 Volvo engine? Does anyone know about a quality?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cat from the valley

cat from the valley Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2008
    jamaica
    i can tell u abt cat but nothing on a vulva:biggrin_25525:

4. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    The industry publications and others have said that Volvo's quality issues have gotten better. Getting parts and good service was always the big issue, but it appears they are trying to get their collective act together on that one as well. I think it is a hit or miss deal. Depends on who the dealer is. After seeing some of the problems the carrier I am with has had with some '06 Volvo engines, I am a little suspicious about putting my money out for a Volvo engine. Others have had good success with them. I would like to see a more solid track record.

5. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    the most expensive motor there is to work on. I know it has two egr valves and they run $1350 each. COmpared to a few hundred for one on anything else (and they only have one)
    can only be worked on at volvo shops so if you break down expect a BIG tow bill to the nearest dealer because they don't have a real big dealer etwork

Heavyd Thanks this.
  6. Apd

Apd Haystack

Jun 22, 2009
    Iv heard some people say they like them and some say they dont.

7. Sandlapper

Sandlapper Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2008
    Simpsonville, SC
    Stay away from the D16. I have had nothing but problems out of mine since it turned 300k mi. Engine is on its 3rd turbo and using a gallon of oil every 1000 mi. If you are dead set on a D16 Volvo I will gladly sell you mine.

8. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Observation of a trucking company that was buying Volvo, they are buying Pete and KW aero with removable sleepers, the KW I just started seeing; aerodynamics are a bit better than the Pete.

There is a hopper outfit that runs OTR, and they are still buying all Volvo, they used to run Mack; a local tanker company used to run Mack and they are buying Volvo, I am guessing all of these companies deal mostly with dealers in an area, and probably, that is what I am seeing here.

BTW the first company has only a few Volvos left.

I don't think the D-16, given it's complexity, is a good engine to own out of warranty. Then again, the shop guy says none of them are any good out of warranty.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    MedicineMan sums it up perfect. I work at an International dealer. We won't touch a Volvo engine. Most non Volvo dealers won't either. Volvo does indeed have the smallest dealer network so finding good, experienced techs is rather hard. Volvo is European engineering. There are alot of problems with this in the North American market. I am coming from the mechanical point of view, I am not a driver. In Europe most trucks are cab-overs, so engines are mostly designed to be serviced with cab up. Volvos are rear-gear-train engines with accessories driven at the back. Rear motor mounts are actually on the transmission. When you have a conventional truck here in North America, that design makes these engines and the truck hard to work on. Some components are really labour intensive like some of the above posts. I won't hold back, I hate Volvos with a passion! We all run and hide when one comes in for a clutch, because of the motor mount thing. I am not sure of the model, but the one with EGR and the intake housing that is directly over the alternator, yah, try getting the altenator out in good time! That is just completely stupid, alternators are a regular service part that should be easy to remove, but once again, Volvo makes it harder than it needs to be!
    Good luck with that!

10. dieselroarmt875b

dieselroarmt875b Medium Load Member

Aug 26, 2008
    YOURAPEEIN
    dd15,maxxforce13,paccar mx13 all have rear geartrains
    and dd15 was prejected by detroit not mercedes

11. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled

What does prejected mean?:scratch::dontknow:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.