Looking for a CDL Training School or Company near Oakland, CA

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Krayt, Jan 27, 2023.

1. Krayt

Krayt Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2023
    I have a phone call scheduled with CRST today. I'm in a situation in my life where I'll do nearly anything to make more money -- and CRST seems like an easy choice. However, in my research, they seem like a possibly bad experience. Thought perhaps that has changed since 2018-2020.

I need assistance to pay for the training. That's why I'm willing to sign on with CRST. I applied with them, Knight and I believe C.R England maybe, but only CRST responded. It's quite hard finding a company with CDL training online, as most of them are national and it's hard to track down who has training centers nearby, which is why I haven't applied for more.

I read alot from Chinatown talking about the WIOH. I'd be willing to do that to go to a school but I think driver training from a company would be better, because I am currently employed and I cannot afford a break in paychecks to attend a school. I also work very odd hours and I'm concerned about being able to attend in general.

I prefer to find my own information and do my own research but I have tried and this is a pretty confusing industry due to the size to get any solid info out of... any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Krayt Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    WIOA Program California

Krayt Thanks this.
  5. Krayt

Krayt Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2023
    Cheers, I just tried Roehl and they say they don't recruit from my area unfortunately. I continue to read more about CRST company policies so I think that's now a plan C. Has anybody done WIOA that can give some insight into the process?

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Krayt Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Krayt Thanks this.
  9. Krayt

Krayt Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2023
    Thanks, applied for Prime. What a thorough application process compared to CRST, lol. I'll apply to Ashley next.... Lol, Swift is like plan B or also C that reputation is notorious... from what I've seen. But I've heard good things about the training. Would working for SWIFT be a black mark on my record moving to another company?

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Swift gets a bad rap for no reason. It's a good place to get started and many drivers have been there for years, decades.
    I recommend refrigerated division because you'll make more money annually than with dry van.

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Old Dominion Freight Line
    www.odfl.com
    8300 Pardee Dr, Oakland, CA 94621
    Since 1988, we have provided an opportunity for qualified employees to become drivers through the "Old Dominion Truck Driver Training Program." Truck Driver Training Program (Dock to Driver): Any active employee can apply to Old Dominion’s Truck Driver Training program.
    This is a lengthy process, so if you want to start driving soon, this program may not be for you or they may not have the dock-to-driver program in Oakland.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.