looking for a company... recent grad.

Discussion in 'Seek Employment' started by Uriah, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uriah

Uriah Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Upstate NY
    i know this is a common topic and i have done a bit of searching and browsing but my situation is slightly different. im trying to find info on good companies that are hiring recent grads. i currently live in NY and all the companies ive tried so far say they are not hiring for my area. ive been considering moving to south carolina to find work since i have family there and and it would make an easy transition. think it would be easier to find work in SC? any ideas on what companies are hiring recent grads in NY or SC? thanks in advance for the help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    no good companies are hiring recent grads. some com[anies are hiring but they are your worse companies with high turnover. Copanies have there pick of good experienced drivers these days.
    I hav a friend who ows a hundred trucks. Used to be he had to scrounge, beg n steal to hire drivers. Last I talked to him he is getting 40 GOOD applications a week without even advertising.

4. Uriah

Uriah Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Upstate NY
    i understand that... i just dont want to end up with CR England. i realize ill have at least a year "paying my dues" but from what ive read there are ok companies that will hire recent grads, just none in my area. all of them ive called say they are hiring until i tell them my zip code.

5. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    but the CR's of the world are the only ones hiring is my point. They are such crappy companies they can't keep anyone in a truck more then three months. which is why they always hire.
    in the past your correct but it's just not that easy now. Not saying it's impossible but it's not a position i'd want to be in right now. Actually right now if I wasn't already stuck in this industry there is now way I'd get into it.
    the zip code thing is really just a sham... the companies that are hiring right now usually have there hiring restricted to VERY VERY close to one of a few major cities. LA, Chicago, Atlanta etc. they want people who live right smack in the freight lane so it doesn't cost them a penny to get you home. Used to be compaies wouldrun you a few hundred miles out of route to go home but not any more with as cheao as freight rates are

6. Uriah

Uriah Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Upstate NY
    i see... the location thing was kinda confusing. i didnt see why a company would care where i lived considering id only be home once a month anyway. that makes sense though. i chose to go to a CDL school since it was paid for by my unemployment office and i was promised a thriving market by them.. now that i have my CDL im seeing otherwise. there are absolutely no jobs in the town i live now. people are commuting 2 hours to find work if they are lucky.

7. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    The driving schools, newspapers, and a variety of others have the misconception that there is a shortage of drivers in the industry. They don't bother to see what is actually happening in the trucking industry.

There were over 3,000 trucking companies that went out of business during 2008 . . . that means there were a lot of drivers added to the available column.

8. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    I know it's hard. I have ben driving 15 years. perfect record. Two years ago I was making $.43cpm $25 a night perdiem for any night I wasn't in my bed and I had total freedom in what I ran. I worked local for a week then went otr for a week etc. it was nice. Made $60 my last year from January till 8/25 when I quit to move to TX.

Right now I'm driveing a crusty old truck for $.36cpm no perdiems, no d/h pay. I'm on the road for 3 or 4 weeks at a time and LUCKY if I make $3k a month.

it's a miserable time.

I posted somewhere else that I have a friend with 100 or so trucks. Two years ago he couldn't get drivers and last I talked to him he was getting 40 or so applications from GOOD experienced drivers per month without even advertising. WHat's that tell you about the employment climate?

I think I'd aske about MORE retraining

9. wwfd1220

wwfd1220 Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Whitewater, Wisconsin
    after reading this forum....... i decided NOT to attend cdl school.... i already have the cdl but needed the training to get in with a company since it has been 10 years since i was last over the road........ 4500 dollars for a 4 week program was just to much of a gamble in this market..... i want to thank you guys for the information i have been reading on here the last 2 weeks... it has been very beneficial

Half a Load Thanks this.
  10. Zaroc

Zaroc Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2008
    Eugene,OR
    Good luck in whatever you end up doing.

11. andrew5184

andrew5184 Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Sapulpa, OK
    Some media outlets are starting to get it straight. I read an article on etrucker the other day that stated the driver shortage has turned to a driver surplus.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2009
    Half a Load Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.