Looking for a company that takes past experience!

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by CHUBS, Nov 12, 2023.

1. CHUBS

CHUBS Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Salt Lake City, UT.
    I had my CDL from 2001-2014 and decided to stop trucking to watch my kids grow up. I started with dump trucks then quickly moved on to OTR 48 states hauling reefer, vans , tankers, double Rolloffs , end dumps, flatbed, etc. I also hauled HazWaste for Triad out of McAlester Oklahoma. I am about to get my Class A back as I'm in CDL school right now. I have my X endorsement and clean driving record. I also have a clean criminal history. I plan to travel coast to coast because my kids live in Florida and I am from the west coast. Plus I love the open road. The problem I am having is I don't want to get trainee pay with all my past experience. I would love to find a company that will give me a little bit of credit for past experience. All the best companies require 1-2 years of RECENT experience. I understand being set back a bit from being out of Trucking for 9 years and I'm not afraid to start at the bottom. If anybody has some advice ,I sure would appreciate it!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Prime Inc. has a terminal in Utah and two in Florida.
    I know; it's a mega, but reefer drivers make decent money there.
    @dave01282000 worked there for a year or more and will give you accurate information on Prime Inc. Refrigerated division.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2023
  5. CHUBS

CHUBS Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Salt Lake City, UT.
    I had a feeling you would be the first one to post ! The man , Chinatown !! Ya I have thought of Pride. I actually worked for Pride before being from SLC and all. I quit Pride because they slip seat or at least they did before. They had another driver take my truck to California and the driver slept in my sheets ,ate my food and left a mess. I don't slip seat .

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'm in complete agreement on the slip seating.

Another Canadian driver and CHUBS Thank this.
  7. CHUBS

CHUBS Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Salt Lake City, UT.
    I was thinking of Magnum or S&S Transport . Every time I say the F word......Florida they do not want to take me . because I tell them I want my off time in Orlando to see my kids.

8. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Part of your problem that you really shouldn't overlook is that the overall CDL market right now is depressed rather sharply.

Because of this -- many/most carriers have tightened up their previous/normal hiring requirements.

For new CDL holders, or for drivers who've been out of the game for a while -- it's simply a tougher market to enter than normal. Never mind how good your previous experience/track record may in fact have been.

Even with the above problem excluded -- A LOT of carriers don't like hiring drivers out of Florida.

That's especially true for drivers located below I-4 in Florida.

If you insist on home time in south Florida -- then as you have already found, most carriers will treat you as a Florida driver.

You don't say exactly where you are on the west coast (and that would help, A LOT)....but with all of the above "blah, blah, blah" in mind.....the following are some other carriers that might prove to be worth your time to investigate:
    • May Trucking
    • Leonard's Express
    • Abilene Motor Express
    • Kold Trans
    -- L

Another Canadian driver and CHUBS Thank this.
  9. dave01282000

dave01282000 Medium Load Member

Jun 16, 2021
    Ohio
    Prime was a good starter company for me and they have a terminal in SLC. As mentioned they are indeed a mega, but I had at least a handful of weeks of grossing over $2k as a company driver. It was a good gig for a rookie starting out.

Once they figure out that you're competent they keep the loads coming. I'll add the disclaimer that I prefer to run at night as much as possible, which is a good fit for reefer in particular.

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    What did Magnum and S&S say about runs to Florida?

11. CHUBS

CHUBS Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Salt Lake City, UT.
    SS said they did not want to hire out of Florida because all there Florida drivers need hometime . I'm guessing they are not wanting to accommodate new Florida residents. Or future Florida residents. I fully understand because there is so little freight coming out of south Florida.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.