Looking for good local companies near St. Louis, MO

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DC818, May 26, 2017.

1. DC818

DC818 Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Southern Illinois
    Ended up going to Sygma and almost out of training. Not bad work and the money is good.

tucker and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JLMooreKCMO

JLMooreKCMO Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2007
    The tanker endorsement is super easy!!!

4. DC818

DC818 Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Southern Illinois
    I just never took the time to take it honestly. Passed all my test for the cdl with no problem at all. I'll look into but for now I don't need it with Sygma.

5. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    @DC818 I've always wonder hows sygma, you care to elaborate I always been curious to know about them.

DC818 Thanks this.
  6. DC818

DC818 Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Southern Illinois

Yeah sure. They where/are short on drivers outside the metro St. Louis area so the hiring process went pretty fast to get me started with the company. Took the drug test, DOT physical at a third party clinic by the house before the background check.

Orientation started for me in Danville, IL and they put me up in the hotel for the week. Unfortunately they didn't pay for my meals so that's one downside of orientation. The good part is they start out training pay at $850/week and that included the orientation. So good money just to sit and watch videos and sign paperwork.

You have to complete 100 hours of drive time to complete training and become a qualified company driver. Routes vary but most if not all have team drivers or driver helpers to complete the job. Money is not an issue if you are looking to be compensated for the job just have to be fit and be safe when doing the job. If you have any other questions let me know.

Mooseontheloose and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  7. Mooseontheloose

Mooseontheloose Light Load Member

May 25, 2014
    St Louis, Metro East
    Sygma was my first job out of CDL school and for the most part I enjoyed it. You’ll make more money on the routes that you run by yourself. It’ll keep you in great shape and the money is really good for an entry level trucking job and home every day. And, like you said they are always short handed since most people don’t want to work that hard but that just makes for more shifts to cover and they would pay a lot to get those covered.

Running the routes overnight worked out well for me being a brand new driver. There’s no one on the roads and the parking lots at the stores are empty. Right now that’ll be a big plus for you it’ll allow you to work on your driving skills away from heavy traffic. Get plenty of rest before and you’ll have no problems driving overnight.

I didn’t like the overnight “blind receiver” key drop call ins. Your accuracy bonus would be affected by someone the next day not seeing one of the cases that was delivered. They couldn’t find it because their freezer was already jammed before I got there. I would go back by the store to point it out to them on my way home.

I suggest doing at least a year at Sygma and then looking in to Sysco, the parent company in St Charles. They run days, use pup trailers, and most of their load is in easily stacked containers. And they are better organized. I believe they are a Monday thru Friday gig. Since St Louis is a Satellite location and the trailers were shuttled from Danville the communication tended to be poor and you won’t get noticed until something goes wrong. For the most part though they will not bother you

Congratulations on finding a gig close to home that pays well. You’ll make more than most other entry level drivers.

DC818 and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  8. DC818

DC818 Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Southern Illinois

Very well put. Exactly what I am feeling so appreciate the reply and I'll be on the lookout for Sysco in the near future.

9. Punisher255

Punisher255 Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Regarding Beelman...I'm considering running for them out of St Gen. when they say "home every two or three days," what exactly does that mean? Home at midnight and back out at 10:00 am the next day kinda thing? They also mentioned home on weekends, but on call every other weekend. I'm assuming you get called in a lot. Can anyone verify? Thanks in advance.

10. Streetroddreams

Streetroddreams Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2017
    North Central Missouri
    Can't do mail with felonies

Buffalo Bill and DTP Thank this.
  11. Mooseontheloose

Mooseontheloose Light Load Member

May 25, 2014
    St Louis, Metro East
    One more thing, invest in some real good rain gear and a boot/shoe dryer. You’re going to need it over the next few months. It’ll make all the difference in not being bothered if its raining. The shoe dryer will be a huge comfort. You’ll be making the money now so don’t be afraid to invest in your own comfort. And, be careful when placing the ramp on the frozen side door. If it’s raining and the temp is in the thirties, the ramp will freeze right up near the doorway. Many times I fell down due to that. But I was in such good shape that I bounced right up. Just a thought after this past weeks storms.

DC818 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.