Looking for guidance

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by bigbaycon, Apr 12, 2017.

1. bigbaycon

bigbaycon Bobtail Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Hey guys, brand new here and looking for some tips.
    I currently work at FedEx Ground as a driver (vans, not linehaul) and quickly realizing I wont be making much more than I already am and wont be able to make a career of this. My ideal career would be working with FedEx Freight/R&L/Old Dominion or similar as linehaul or p&d, I dont really care.
    But all of those companies seem to need that 1 year experience.
    I know fdx freight has a apprenticeship program, but I cant really take a paycut for that long in hopes they pick me for the program.
    Ive recently toyed with the idea of joining Schnedier regional and doing the paid student program for getting my CDL, althought I would rather avoid OTR type if possible.

Can you guys recommend me a better solution or is this a decent way to go..
    Thanks

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    Most of the upper end carriers have a waiting list for those jobs. It would not be a good idea to expect say Old Dominion to hire you on the wheel at a year experience. I've had freight haulers turn me down with ( at the time ) 15 years of accident free miles but no real time on pups. ( like I couldn't handle it lol )

You have to pay your dues hand. If you hire out and they get you a CDL then they are going to run you anywhere they see fit in any mode. It's their perceived "right".

My whole point here is your going to need far more than 12 mos to get a quality line haul or P&D job especially where pups are involved. Get hooked up with a FedEx contractor and get your pup and line haul time together, keep it spotless at all costs for at least 12 mos and then take a run at a freight hauler.

Keep Schneider as a distant alternative IMO OR....look to Schneider dedicated .. They have a deal with Ford and a few others dropping parts at the dealership.

JMO

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  4. bigbaycon

bigbaycon Bobtail Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Good tips. I'll keep those in mind,

It seems even FedEx Ground contractors require that 1 year experience for linehaul, so I don't think I can do that right off the bat either..
    However, I would be perfectly fine with running with ground linehaul for a few years until I can find something better.. just looking for my first step to getting that solid first year

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  5. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    OP, I agree with Chalupa. I worked a year for FedEx/LineHaul/Ground (teaming, of course) back in the early 2000's. Though I never got into Estes with that experience (that was my goal) it sure opened many doors for me since then. I'd hang with it if at all possible. For sure.
    Best wishes,
    Tomcat

6. bigbaycon

bigbaycon Bobtail Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Ok sorry guys I think I may have to clarify myself a bit, I work For FedEx driving the vans. Not 18 wheelers.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Old Dominion hires new cdl grads for line haul. Not all terminals do though. They even send recruiters to cdl school in PA and some other states.

Where is your location?

8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Go down to the teamsters union hall and see who is hiring for a city driver / dock worker trainee. You will need a CDL. Get on with ABF or the like, pay your dues ( in more than one way ), and live happily ever after.

9. bigbaycon

bigbaycon Bobtail Member

Apr 12, 2017
    So its probably better to sponsor myself through truck driving school and try to get on somewhere than signing something with schneider or whoever and having them train me for the CDL

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    ABF and YRC/Yellow have their own cdl program. Huge turnover though. Bottom of the senority list drivers and trainees get crapped on.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Some cdl schools have night or weekend classes. You can go through school without missing work at your current job.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.