Looking for Info & Advice

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by RiyekoLTrucker, Jan 7, 2021.

1. RiyekoLTrucker

RiyekoLTrucker Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2018
    So coming later this year, im thinking June or July, depending on how things work out, my man and i are going to try and go owner op/lease a truck onto Landstar and start doing our own thing.

I have some health issues and can no longer drive, but i can be a ride along/helper while he does most of the "heavy lifting".

My question is this... I need advice since hes bad with organization and other secretarial skills, what does everyone use to keep track of costs and expenses? I know there are several computer programs out there that people can use (aka rigbooks, trucking office, etc), but i would like some first hand knowledge of day to day operations and book keeping, along with organization.

Anyone with any info please let me know. I know right now theres going to be some issues (with the current economical and political climate), but we do not have a choice and are backed up against a wall (long story, message me if you want details).

Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Spyro2112

Spyro2112 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2018
    U have to have 1 year of on road to lease on 2 LS,

4. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
  5. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    Great!!!! You are definitely at the right place for info and advice!!!! 6 pages of it coming right up!!!!:D

homeskillet and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  6. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    It's strait forward. Keep all your receipts. I have a plastic bin to put all my receipts in. I keep one at home too. End of the year I sort the receipts. Print out credit cards statements. Record you days out. Calculate interest paid on the business side. Depreciation on vechile vs lease payments. Write off phone, parts of utilities, rent, parking. Tolls. Reapirs, pms.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I think you need 1 year, clean record, at Landstar, before you can take a passenger.

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  8. Professor No-Name

Professor No-Name Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2016
    For what it's worth check out letstruck.com. kevin has info for people wanting to become owner operators. There are courses there an books ya can read to help ya on your journey. Plus he has some tools to help ya track expenses and to help ya spec a truck.

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Ok op, it isn’t hard to keep track of finances, if you want to become a complicated bookkeeper, then get quick books or any book keeping software, try to stay away from cloud driven or online software.

The simple thing is using excel or even that thing called a pencil and paper.

landstar?

not a bad goal but they can be flaky. I know one BCO (that what a lease holder is called there) who came out of school, worked for 3 months with his “training” company and applied to landstar to work for an owner, 3 months for the owner, he went out and bought a truck and leased it to landstar. Know this has happened a few times,

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.