Looking for info on Hansen & Adkins.... are they a good company to work for?

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Walker79, Nov 27, 2017.

1. jmac616

jmac616 Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Tampa FL
    Hi Guys, I've been in the business for about 2 years now, currently running mostly of Central and some clients but strongly considering switching over to Hansen & Adkins out of JAX as I live in Tampa. however, before I make the switch it would be nice to know from where to where do the units typically move, average pay, and cost for insurance through H&A?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Jacksonville runs all over the place, call the terminal or stop by and talk to some owner ops on the specific rates and destinations. Average pay is very subjective depending on your desire and how and where you run. You possibly won’t like it as much until you find the lanes that work for you and you get a good routine that you like. Some yards we haul out of may not be considered good paying freight for a guy with a quickloader, but I do my best to get there because with 11 it pays great for me and gets me right back home, often with a single drop. They advertise on the website the average owner op makes $5,500-$6,000 a week. Some locations and drivers should be able to get closer to $8,000 once you figure out where to go and where not to go, it can make a huge difference. Recently with a lot of off rail and overflow traffic at different locations, $10,000-$12,000 a week can be done, but don’t count on that. I pay just shy of $700 every 2 weeks for insurance on a 2 year old rig. I use the company Hansen uses and have it taken out of my settlements. If you want to use another insurance company, that is up to you. You will get approximately 40 cents a gallon off of fuel at the Loves, TA and a few other fuel stops using Hansen’s fuel card. Tires are about 60% of what retail price is with their buying discount. Shop work is discounted at company shops. The money is always on time and correct, you don’t have to fight for what you are owed.
    Most of the owner ops I have met with Hansen have been here many years. Some have had several new trucks here. I have been here almost 3 years and I plan to spend the rest of my career here. I have had some great paying mostly union jobs in my 30+ year career so I know what a good job is. I like to say that if a company can keep a bunch of former Teamsters happy most of the time, they are a good company. It is not perfect and the first owner op you talk to in person could possibly tell you how bad things are, but you know how truck drivers can be. I believe most will tell you otherwise.
    I talked to United Road some time back just to compare things, as I always have a back up plan in place. If i wanted more revenue I would have to run in areas of the country that I don’t choose to run. I make plenty of money running exactly where I choose to run and I will not be going anywhere just for the rate.
    Hansen is a great company for me now that I have established relationships with different terminals. When I get out in the system I can usually find a load that works for me which is normally to get back home. This did not come about overnight. Good luck.

Unk and BigBob410 Thank this.
  4. jmac616

jmac616 Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Tampa FL
    Thanks for the great info Banker, that's a good idea I think one of these days I'll swing by the terminal and try to chat some people up. you're right some drivers out there we'll find something wrong with anything, I just got to make sure to keep that in mind when I'm talking to people. I know it might not be exact but do you have an idea of what I should expect to get paid per mile loaded?

5. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    CE5F24F9-4C21-4117-B472-0C6DE0B1A664.png
    That is one of the variables that varies by terminal, lane, manufacturer, your truck, your ability to maximize your load factor and many other variables. From what I have heard new cars often pays less per unit per mile than used cars. I don’t really care because I look at what is left over. I think you will find that most owner ops who work hard for Hansen will have some where north of $3,500 a week after fuel and insurance. Many will have north of $5,000. I don’t usually work hard when compared to most other drivers. This year I am working harder to save for some major home upgrades. I did very near this amount the first quarter but April was slightly better. From all indications I can do this or better the rest of the year. If I don’t I am ok with that too. Remember not everyone will do this good and some will do better. My miles include every mile the truck turns for the month. If I take it to the shop or deadhead a long distance for a better load, it is included. This number is after evey dollar spent in my business which includes anything that I can legally expense. I don’t cheat on my taxes but I don’t miss any legit expenses or write offs. I also don’t have a truck payment, so those that do will need to work harder than I do to have the same profit.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    jmac616 Thanks this.
  6. jmac616

jmac616 Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Tampa FL
    That's pretty good money brother! My plan is to run with a co-driver, we're going to run hard for 2 days come home and run hard for another two days. the key to that will be to find a terminal that I can drop nearby and pick up a load that will bring me back to West Florida. would you happen to know what places I can pick up that typically have units going to West or central FL?

7. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I really don’t know for sure about the best terminal who would routinely get you home. With you wanting to be back every 2 days I guess you may need a terminal in Florida or at least a terminal with a lot of Florida freight. I know Montgomery Al has Florida traffic, but I don’t think you could count on going south every time. Montgomery also has traffic North to Ohio. Canton Ms has very good traffic also, but I don’t know about Florida. Maybe try Greer SC and Vance Al. I would recommend you check with Jacksonville as their freight could work for you. Tell them you are planning to run team and see what they say. I would call all of the terminals that service your home area and see if they have freight to get you home or get you to a terminal that would get you home. It is easier to find the right terminal for you before you hire in than it would be to move terminals later. Spend some time calling and talking to the TM and let him or her know what you would like to be able to do first. It doesn’t hurt to call them all because they could be needing a team and it could work out very well. I would also ask them what their loads consist of and figure out what you could haul on your rig and try to see which terminal will pay the best for what you can haul. It really does make a big difference as some trucks are better suited for particular terminals.

jmac616 and BigBob410 Thank this.
  8. Coolbreeze

Coolbreeze Light Load Member

May 13, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I’ve read a lot of good info on Hansen and Adkins. But, unable to find answers to these couple questions. Does anyone have info on the Lincoln Alabama terminal, vs Atlanta Ga? I know the pay is percentage. But, is there load or unload pay? Stop pay? And how does the bonus pay? Is it monthly? Thanks in advance.

9. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I think Atlanta is the Hapeville yard which is a railhead, this was short haul freight when I hauled from there with Allied Systems. Lincoln is a plant, but I am not sure what their territory is. The pay is percentage, I believe they start at 25% and it goes up from there, but you better call and ask to make certain. I know they pay hourly for breakdowns, but I am not sure of the details. You will get all the details if you call the terminal and ask the specifics.

paul_4lp and Coolbreeze Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.