LOOKING FOR PAID CDL TRAINING IN NORTHEAST OHIO (CLEVELAND) AREA

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by HeidiJK, Mar 19, 2019.

1. HeidiJK

HeidiJK Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2019
    Hi all!! I am seriously considering changing careers. I currently work for a school for mentally ill kids transporting children to and from school. I do not have a CDL. I cannot pay out of pocket to get my CDL due to student loans for my associates degree. I need help in where is a decent place to start that will pay me while I am in school. I really do not want to do OTR but it seems like I have to. Please help! I am a female and I live in the Cleveland, Ohio area. Thank you!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Vic Firth

Vic Firth Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Indiana
    Theres a couple of companies that will pay you but that typically comes with lower wages after you complete your training. Basically you’re paying yourself in advance. You might look at Dutch Maid.

4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I think Roehl and Millis are the only companies I know of that pay you while you go to school. They are good OTR companies and you should plan on staying with them at least 1 year, no matter how much you don't like doing OTR, so you can have better options later. IF you really have to have a company sponsored CDL school, then that means you have to sign a 1 year contract. And don't even think about signing the contract and then breaking it the first time you need a certain day off or see an ad on Craigslist offering a 2 cent pay raise at Unknown Trucking, Inc.

Think long term and the daily problems will EVENTUALLY go away. Make short term decisions and you are ALWAYS fighting uphill battles.

Vic Firth Thanks this.
  5. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Have you looked into any local community colleges? They may have a combination of night and weekend classes that you could take. You should be able to get the basic state grants or tuition assistance.

Does the school have equipment that would require a CDL? If so, you might want to use that as a reason to get a CDL. That may qualify you for a state funding program.

Just passing by Thanks this.
  6. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Just think, when you get on the road, no longer will you be transporting mentally ill children, but dodging their mentally ill parents.

I wish you the best. :p

Chinatown and slim shady Thank this.
  7. VantaiTatted

VantaiTatted Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Maryland
    I’ll always say it. Look for local beverage or foodservice companies. You will work your butt off but they usually only make you pay for the permit and they take care of the rest.

8. HeidiJK

HeidiJK Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2019
    Really?? They will pay for school but I just have to pay the fees to obtain the CDL? I have never heard of that but if it is true there is pop companies and stouffers out here that I know of! Thank you!!!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. HeidiJK

HeidiJK Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2019
    Thank you!! I cannot handle these kids much longer! They are sick individuals!!!

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  10. HeidiJK

HeidiJK Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2019
    I have not looked into the community colleges because I am in default with my student loans. I, like many others, have a degree that I cannot use and cannot afford the 400$ a month they want from me..therefore I cannot get any more loans and I cannot get grants. It sucks but it is what it is. Thank you though!

11. HeidiJK

HeidiJK Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2019
    Thank you! That is awesome advice!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.