Looking for some direction once I obtain my CDL

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jmz, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    I did read through her threads, when searching "St. Louis" on here. Looks like she got hired by a local flatbed company.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  4. DustyRoad

DustyRoad Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    Call around and ask these companies if they hire drivers with less than 1 year Experience and see what they offer. 1st hand knowledge is valuable.

5. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    I know I'll have to put in more work to find a job since I don't want to just go OTR with the first mega carrier I apply to. That's why I'm asking now to find out who I should be looking at. I expect to be trained of course, but if I get hired by someone local, I don't see how I'd have to go OTR for training.

The only downside is that I was told by a recruiter that they are not hiring for their Target accounts right now, and that's what I was hoping for. Their other main account seems to be Dollar General and I haven't heard good things about it.

Yes, I intend to do my own research, I just needed a starting point. So far, most of the ones posted have job openings on their websites that specifically say they accept new graduates. GFS even has one saying they hire with just a permit as long as you get the CDL within 90 days.

Even so, I still won't know for sure until I put in the apps and start calling.

Need4Speed and DustyRoad Thank this.
  6. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    As I'm applying for jobs, I noticed that a lot of them want me to specifically state if I currently have a CDL or not. Is it generally ok to say yes, even though I still only have a permit, since I'm intending to have the full license within a few weeks? Some applications won't even let me continue if I say no, and I find it kind of pointless to wait until I have the license in my hand before beginning the application process and potentially waiting a few more weeks.

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Call the companies and tell them you're trying to apply and the app won't let you continue.
    Some apps have a "student" block to check.

jmz Thanks this.
  8. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    The company that eventually hired me had told me to go back to the application and check "yes" to CDL and the required endorsements.

jmz Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That seem right; by the time you graduate & are hired, that will be the correct answer.

jmz Thanks this.
  10. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    Exactly how I was thinking.

One of them requires my license expiration date, so I'll call and ask about what they want me to put.

11. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    I had that question as well. Used a dummy date. Please keep in mind that I had received "approval" directly from the recruiter, and I confirmed my conversation with a follow-up email just to cover my ###.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.