Looking for some info on becoming a broker or dispatcher from home!

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by lbenavides, Aug 24, 2012.

  1. lbenavides

    lbenavides Bobtail Member

    Aug 24, 2012
    I'm a wife of a trucker and within our family we have about 5 trucks. I really wanted to be apart of this business but I just don't know how about to go about it. What is the difference between a dispatcher and a broker? I am always doing the paperwork from various runs from my husband and also telling him where the empty loads are to be delivered to. Any helpful advice would be great. bettyboop11385@gmail.com

    Thanks in Advance
  2. gokiddogo

    gokiddogo Road Train Member

    Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    A broker is someone who gets the contract from the shipper, and then finds trucks to pickup and deliver loads for the shipper. If a shipper has 10 loads a day going to all different points, he wants to be able to call ONE person and find out how things are going.

    A dispatcher is someone who works for a trucking company. They keep track of where trucks are, how the runs are going, and they also find the next load for the truck to be assigned to.

    However, sometimes the lines get blurred and say, you have a shipper who uses one trucking company to move all their freight. Now this trucking company can get their broker license and if demand from shipper exceeds their own capacity, they can find another trucking company who has available trucks.
  3. 6wheeler

    6wheeler Road Train Member

    Aug 30, 2009
    Charlottesville, VA
    I think landstar has a program like your looking for. But not really sure.
  4. G/MAN

    G/MAN Road Train Member

    Sep 3, 2010
    A broker must have broker authority from the federal government. In order to get broker authority you will need to post a bond. It was $10,000, but was recently raised to $75,000. I am not sure when the higher bond goes into effect. A dispatcher doesn't need to post a bond or get authority.
    aiwiron Thanks this.
  5. pg12

    pg12 Bobtail Member

    Aug 30, 2012
    You are a dispatcher if you move those five trucks (empty loads and deliveries). You can get broker authority at fmsca.gov after satisfying the broker bond/insurance requirements.
  6. G/MAN

    G/MAN Road Train Member

    Sep 3, 2010

    A dispatcher finds the loads, negotiate rates, books loads and does all paperwork in behalf of the owner operator or carrier. A dispatcher also handles all contact with the broker and/or shipper. You stated that you had 5 trucks in your family. Do you want to dispatch all of them or just your husband? You can act as a dispatcher for them and even more truck owners without having to get broker authority. A dispatcher may not deal directly with shippers on their own behalf. They must act as the representative of the trucking company or owner operator. If you deal directly with the shipper and sell those loads to outside carriers or owner operators, then you will need broker authority. The main difference is whom you represent. A dispatcher represents the owner operator or trucking company. The broker represents the shipper.
  7. crzyjarmans

    crzyjarmans Road Train Member

    Jun 9, 2010
    Becarefull!, another asked this question, so I answered, mentioned the licence and someone named thewinner said there is no such thing as a licence
    Lilbit Thanks this.
  8. kimbush

    kimbush Bobtail Member

    Aug 25, 2012
    Bullhead City AZ
    The new bond is supposed to go into effect 2013
  9. LSAgentOZR

    LSAgentOZR Road Train Member

    Nov 1, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Sounds like you'd be more suited as a dispatcher for your five trucks and find loads for your guys and get a small percentage from them.
  10. kw600

    kw600 Road Train Member

    Dec 9, 2011
    does the 10,000$ / 75,000 bond mean you have to pay 10k 75k off the bat to get your broker license from fmsca or is it like insurance where u can pay monthly?
  • Draft saved Draft deleted