Looking for some input.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Canoe4you, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Canoe4you

Canoe4you Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2017
    Florida
    Hello everyone, I am interested in becoming a truck driver and would like your help finding the best match. I am a 30 year old woman who has been a stay at home mom for 10 years now so my work history is 0. I live in Panama City, Florida and the closest CDL community college I can find is an hours drive away from me which is too far to commute every day so I am looking into company sponsored training. I can pass a background check and Drug test easily and have a clean DMV record. I need a company that can pay me during training but besides that I’m pretty flexible. Prime looks like a good company but I worry that my lack of work history would be an issue. What are your thoughts and suggestions? Thanks for taking the time to read

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RussianBearTruckeR

RussianBearTruckeR Heavy Load Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, FL
    Here's where I'm looking to attend - http://nftc.edu/media/tri-fold CVD (1).pdf
    J-Tech I'm on the fence about - Can't get good reviews, quick turnaround, supposedly CRST trained their paid cdl drivers there a few years ago but it's only a month of training.
    NTI was recommended by a recruiter but their 4 weeks cost is about $7K

I'd consider paying out of pocket to not be a tied down for a year to a company that basically owns you & your rate/pay. Do some snooping on the forms of any company you consider...
    You can have a friend vouch for you that you've
    Ask @Chinatown he's been super helpful & resourceful! Good Luck!

Canoe4you Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Lack of work history won't be a problem with most companies because you were a stay at home mom. There was a stay at home dad on here a year or so ago and he didn't have a problem getting into trucking.
    Roehl Transport pays their students $500.00 weekly during their cdl school. Don't know if they hire where you are, but worth a phone call.
    Prime is ok, they feed you well and have nice lodging and meals from what their drivers post. You can get some upfront money during training, but have to pay it back later.
    KLLM trains in Mississippi and provides lodging and meals.
    CFI - www.cfidrive.com - trains in Missouri and provides lodging & meals.
    Stevens Transport - trains in Tampa, Florida
    Tampa Truck Driving School
    8501-B Sabal Industrial Blvd
    Tampa, FL 33619

RussianBearTruckeR and Canoe4you Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Dont worry about the work history being zero.

What they want is a accounting of ALL of your time going back 7 to 10 years for Homeland Security purposes (Indirectly) so that for example you haven't run off to Afghanistan to train as a terrorist for example. (It's just a example...)

Be very cautious of recruiters. To some you are fresh meat. If you fall for the bait of a mountain of gold to pick at your leisure and all sorts of wonderful benefits you will never have time or stop long enough to use in trucking then you are going to discover some bitter truths.

Trucking is something that supports the USA. As such, if you have to go home right now you cannot usually. It's a journey where you are not done until the load itself is actually done and you are given permission maybe to go home at a later date that is yet to be determined.

Finally but not last.

Truck schools teach you just enough to pass the State DMV CDL A test without hurting people or hitting things. Your REAL learning that will be paid for in blood, sweat and tears will begin with your first load. You might have 10 dollars in your pocket and told to be in Atlanta monday 8AM. If you know nothing at all about Atlanta, you have several potential problems as related to big trucks. (For example you cannot penetrate the beltway into downtown core without a very specific delivery to inside that core. You will be fined enough money that will pretty much wipe out your payroll at least a week if not two at experienced rates. Potentially a month or more at your trainee rates.

You will discover that the romance of trucking culture will be shattered the moment you hit a truckstop and park next to a dumpster that is buried in urine bottles and not touched by anyone in 3 weeks. Among other things. You will have to look out for yourself. No one can look out for you. There are places around the USA that are pretty dangerous depending on the situation.

I don't want to burst any bubbles. Trucking is a very good thing to do. If you can do it. At some point you must understand there is a good possibility you may not make it back home again ever. Or for a while. And at some point in the future your body will break down under the work itself and you will have to live the rest of your life with the damage. For example, we all only have one spine. Once that's gone, it's gone when you really need it in your old age.

Be very careful. Learn everything. Ask questions.

Your part of Florida apparently I recall as a pretty decent area but if you have never traveled around the USA, you are about to be treated to a Country that is so big and so varied in so many ways. Some good, some bad.

Good luck.

Canoe4you Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @laaylor - does Celadon have cdl school going again?

7. Canoe4you

Canoe4you Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2017
    Florida
    Thanks for the replies guys, they have been informative. Glad to know my lack of work history shouldn’t be an issue. I will start making calls in the morning. Roehl hires in my area and they look appealing so I’ll start with them and prime. I appreciate the detailed responses you guys are awesome.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Why trucking ? Just curious.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.