Looking for up-to-date info on starting a new business

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by RJTX, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Tropsnart

Tropsnart Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Pavilion New York
    Buy new equipment, hire an experienced driver only (no exceptions ) . There is plenty of money to be made by working Central Dispatch but it takes a lot of time, not a few hours here and there. I've been working it more and more as the regular auction to dealer freight I usually haul is pretty slow right now. With these lying ### elogs, running 2 trucks , home every weekend, still average over 8 a week per truck. I would think long and hard about what kind of additional stress you're willing to take on. It sounds easy til you actually do it. 2018 truck and trailer driver 20 plus years experience , insurance 1400 per month includes 500k cargo. 2015 truck and trailer 25 yr exp, driver 1200 same coverage.
    You've got the right idea only to haul profitable loads but your driver will not like to sit and wait. Just my 2 cents. Good luck

RJTX and BigBob410 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bfielder

bfielder Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2013
    south bend,in
    Don't start with a 8-10 car... If you have that much to invest start smaller and hold onto as much cash as possible... It's gonna be tough to start with such a big setup...

4. StrokerTSi

StrokerTSi Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2016
    If your just going to be an investor, I wouldn't recommend starting a trucking business. To many lawsuits waiting to happen if the person driving your truck is careless. I would pick a business you have an interest in already such as a hobby your already involved in and have knowledge that will keep your interest. Just my 2c.

5. RJTX

RJTX Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2017
    Thank you for your thoughts gents, and I appreciate the highlighted risks. Every venture aside from my current job is a risk. Given my potential partner's success, I don't think I'm blazing new trails here, but merely trying to duplicate his success with his help. If it's successful, great. If it's not, I can't say I didn't try. But as they say, no risk, no reward.

BFielder, quick question... why do you suggest starting with a smaller setup? Would you have the cost vs. revenue numbers for either?

Also, Stroker, I do have a lot of interest in trucks. There are some similarities between running an airline and running a trucking company though on a much smaller scale. Needless to say, I really do like this stuff.

In any case, I wanted to ask about some specifics. I calculated my direct operating cost for 8-10 car stinger (paid cash for), including the driver pay (used 30% of the load figure for a highly experienced driver) to be in the neighborhood of $1.57-$1.64 per mile depending on maintenance and diesel price. Does that seem about right? This is of course not including maintenance reserve. Essentially, I'm planning on starting with putting aside 25% of gross into my maintenance reserve fund and go from there.

What are your thoughts?

6. Tropsnart

Tropsnart Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Pavilion New York
    A thirty or 40 grand stinger will nickel, dime and dollar you. I hope you have a very trustworthy shop to fix it and a very patient driver to put up with all of the headaches associated with an older, likely worn out truck and trailer.

BigBob410 Thanks this.
  7. iena

iena Bobtail Member

Oct 2, 2014
    I think its will be extremely hard to find experienced driver for that truck. Ask yourself why driver choose to drive your old truck with loads from CD vs driving new truck for some well established company? Good luck

homeskillet Thanks this.
  8. Kozakvod

Kozakvod Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I entered the business the very same way you're describing coming in, through a friend. The very BIG difference though is that "I" was the driver. I could depend upon me. I could count on me. And you're expecting to find someone to be the "me" for you, a VERY TOUGH order to fill. AND, I came into the business when things were very different than they are today. Currently, you have EVERYTHING working against you. Maintenance is going to eat you alive in an older rig. Fuel is going back up. Rates are still in the toilet. Your insurance as a new entrant is going to be extremely costly. And you want to find a driver to run up and down the road thousands upon thousands of miles per month in an old truck just to make a decent wage.

There are guys on here with MANY more years of experience than me telling you to stay away from this industry because the battles you will face are not small, nor easy, nor fun. So unless you just looking for a place to show a lose, listen to us. And there are certainly less stressful was to lose money.

RJTX, Tropsnart and BigBob410 Thank this.
  9. Ziggy319

Ziggy319 Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Syracuse,ny
    I believe your cost per mile
    Is way out of line. With a stinger that can be bought for that amount you will have significant down time and repair cost. If a truck can gross 1500 per day and that is the low end. And is down 3 days a month which is all on the Low end for repairs and maintenance. Add the 4500 in loss revenue to the repair cost and you have the payment for a new stinger. Between the high miles and worn equipment you will have nothing more than a money pit. The down time will also piss off any driver worth a ####. Money can be made easier on a running truck than a down truck. Your numbers are unrealistic. I’m not trying to discourage you. I’m sharing my experience.

BigBob410 and Tropsnart Thank this.
  10. bfielder

bfielder Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2013
    south bend,in
    Cost vs revenue
    (2)truck and trailer $25k-$40k
    Equipment only... Still need op authority and insurance and ect.....
    Not brand new equipment but fair equipment... Definitely not junk.... 3 car trailer...
    Revenue depends on your area or route you run or don't run.... But GROSS varies... But ballpark figure $130k +/-
    That's 2 trucks with vacation, break downs, resets and ect.... Now I know a gentleman who has a 3 car enclosed who does almost twice as much revenue but equipment is as well twice as much... Insurance is higher as well.... But it's your call... Just have a backup

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.