Looking into get my own trucks. Any advice? Lease or buy in the beginning?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by woodmon8, Jan 20, 2021.

1. woodmon8

woodmon8 Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2016
    getting me dot numbers and looking to buy or lease trucks ?? which is better. also getting some hauling contracts. any help??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Become a member of www.OOIDA.com which is a business website for the small fleet owner.

4. Vampire

Vampire Medium Load Member

May 14, 2011
    Transylvania
    Please do some research with the search function on the site. You will find plenty of advice has already been posted by our great forum members who have loads of experience regarding what you asked.

5. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    I’m not sure about buying or leasing if you’re talking about leasing from a company like Ryder or Penske I don’t think they will do that for a new start up but not sure about that.Companies like lone mountain I think you would be better off buying.A contract if you mean like from a company hauling there freight directly from them I think you will have a very hard time finding a company that will sign a contract with you as a new company.You can depending how good you are at sales find companies that will load you but I don’t believe there going to enter into an contract.They will load you the same as a broker would under a agreement if you meant an agreement like as a broker some will work with you some won’t until you’ve been operating for awhile usually 6 months to a year

6. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Here we go again

Concorde, bzinger, 201 and 1 other person Thank this.
  7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    One thing for sure, it never ends.:dontknow: BUT,,, I'm sure the poster is wondering, and many of us "seasoned" TTR members, have heard this over and over, but the industry is in such bad shape, we simply can't thwart someones initiative. It's them that will be hauling those crappy strawberries in the future, not us. To the poster, there's so much more we need to know, like location, preference, marital status ( that's a biggie) and what, if any, experience you have with trucks and truck ownership. To be honest, today, it's a recipe for disaster, and I wish you luck. Insurance will kill ya'.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    pavrom Thanks this.
  8. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    If you are going to get a few trucks be sure to get all the same model trucks with same motor and trans. so when one breaks you can use parts from it to keep the other trucks running, and be able to keep repair parts and all oil and fuel filters in stock with out having a lot of diff. parts in stock?

DUNE-T Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.