Looking into KLLM

Discussion in 'KLLM' started by fordlady40, Dec 19, 2006.

1. fordlady40

fordlady40 Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2006
    ohio
    looking for info into KLLM anyone out there have any info on this company as a newbie going to work for them? have talked to a recruiter but i know from reading the forums on here not to believe half of what i am told. any advice is welcome, also on CFI if anyone has heard or worked for them, they both have emailed and called me and both have beginner programs for my area. Thank you in advance.:)

xllxmrjohnxllx Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    I've been with KLLM since the middle of October, and I'm happy with 'em. They're a good company. I've gotten good miles and have been happy with everyone I've dealt with within the company. I've broke down a couple of times, but the hotel's were paid for as well as $35/day breakdown pay. I know it ain't much, but at least they paid for my meals besides the hotel. I would recommend going with their temperature controlled division (reefer) as it gives you more availability for loads since you can haul dry goods as well as refrigerated.

I did work for CFI for a short while, not long enough to tell if I really liked it or not. The reason for leaving had nothing to do with the company, just was the result of a bad decision in my personal life.

I don't know much about either company's training programs, but have heard they are better than most. I hope this helps some.

4. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2006
    I worked for over 4 yrs at KLLM and went thru their training. The reefer has more loads than the dry side and Jackson MS is the place to go for orientation rather than Atlanta, GA. Try and get a room by yourself if at all possible. If you can't, just hope they give you a roommate you can tolerate. Expect 3 full days of orientation with the 1st day dealin with medical and speciman tests. If you have a current Med card, you can expect to get a new one. They will not take your current one.

They are a straight up company and you are expected to tell the truth at all times. If they catch you in a lie, they will hang you out to dry. Always, Always tell them the truth. They will back you up if you tell them the whole story on any situation.

The Trainers when I was their were good. They took the time to help their trainees do the right job. You can expect to take it easy in the first 2 weeks as Dispatch will run the truck as a solo. This gives time for you to learn from the Trainer the ins and outs of operating the truck, loads, shippers, receivers, qual-comm and to get you comfortable. When the Trainer feels that you are ready to run Team, he/she will inform the Training Dept who will inform Dispatch. Always be open minded with your Trainer and always discuss things that you don't understand or have a different thinking of. Training will be 6 weeks; more or less depending on how fast you can absorb and handle the job but usually 6 weeks for newbies.

I was there from 10-01 to 01-06. I left because of 1. Communication and 2. Slowing the trucks down to 65. If it weren't for that, I would still be there.

CFI; I can't help you with. But anything else, just ask.

5. skullitor

skullitor Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2005
    New England
    Ledbetter how fast do you need to go?Most fleets govern at 65,Some lower.
    Fordlady, CFI is an exellent outfit.I'd say go CFI, Reefers are a whole nother world.

6. dstockwell

dstockwell Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2006
    Georgia
    Then you are no longer in training... Training means train you, not drive and the trainer sleeps to run team, where is the training in that.

7. Scarecrow03

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    What so many newbies fail to realize is there is only so much that a trainer can do. A lot of this job is learn as you go. You will NEVER learn EVERYTHING there is to learn while you are on your trainer's truck. What Ledbetter was trying to get across is that in two weeks time you will have enough general knowledge to handle things driving down the interstate while the trainer catches a few hours of sleep in the bunk. And, as a former trainer, I can attest to the fact that the "sleep" you get while behind a student is not a very deep sleep. As soon as those jakes come on, any good trainer will get up and at the very least look to see what's happening or ask the student what's goin' on.

Beyond the second week the trainer is still working on all other aspects of the job aside from driving the truck down the interstate. These things include: what to do at a weigh station, using a CAT or other certified scale to check your load weight distribution, logging, paperwork, Qualcomm (or other satellite communications equipment), backing at truckstops, backing at shippers/receivers, checking in at shippers/receivers, handling a DOT inspection, driving on secondary roads, receiving your pay, trip planning, etc.

Like every other of OTR driver, trainers do a lot of work that they don't get paid for. Eventhough they receive more pay than a solo driver, it's still not equal compensation for the work that a good trainer does.

8. BuddhaTim

BuddhaTim Bobtail Member

Nov 1, 2006
    During the "team training" phase, is the trainee paid training pay, solo pay or team pay?

I just applied with KLLM today....

9. Scarecrow03

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    Trainees are paid a flat salary throughout their training. I'm not sure what KLLM's training pay is, but I'm sure it's somewhere in the $300-350/wk area, as this is pretty standard in the industry. KLLM requires students to be with their trainers for at least three weeks, no more than six. I think you've chose a good company to not only start your career with, but to continue it with as well. I hope you read my other post about my experiences with the company. Good luck!

10. bobbyw

bobbyw Light Load Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Orlando Florida
    I would have applied with them if they hired out of Central Florida they look pretty good from all that has been said on this forum and their web site

11. skullitor

skullitor Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2005
    New England
    I wonder if they hire out of Mass?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.