Looking to become an owner operator....Need detailed advice as far as truck goes...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Ryck13, Jan 9, 2014.

1. fld

fld Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2012
    That's great that you have that amount of money, but be careful. Believe it or not, it is possible to go broke even with that amount of money.

There was a thread on here a while back of an owner operator that started out with I think $150,000 cash. He had alot of experience and a real plan, and he said that he went through almost all of that getting started.

In the beginning it is best to try to lay out as little money as possible, and keep as much cash on hand as possible.

Unless it is serious otr coast to coast, I prefer the set back front axle. The trucks are less expensive, still give you that great Freightliner ride, and they are more maneuverable. The one that I drove when I lived in California, I went from the Mexican border to just about the Canadian border. And I enjoyed every mile with the set back axle.

They really are about the same truck except the Classic has a forward axle and a longer hood.

Oh, and with the set back axle, the engine is completely in front of the cab and vey easy to work on, just like the Classic.

RubyEagle Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ryck13

Ryck13 Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Yeah..., I'm truly focused on becoming successful and I've been putting money up and asking questions everywhere I go to get different angles on this new challenge I gave myself.

4. Ryck13

Ryck13 Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Another driver brought up the Freightliner Coronado... Any opinions or speculations?

5. Catliner

Catliner Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Thompson, GA
    it looks like a modern Classic

6. Ryck13

Ryck13 Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    I drove the 2013 or 2014(can't remember exact year) Coronado while driving for Smith Transport and it was amazing. I completely forgot about them but they are pretty much a more modern, sleeker version of the classic. But there is no major difference overall right?

7. fld

fld Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Can't comment on the Coronado. Never drove one.

8. Catliner

Catliner Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Thompson, GA
    just the price tag

9. fld

fld Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2012
    I heard that some of the newer trucks have rack and pinion steering, and there were problems with that. Sorry I don't know which trucks had that. I just remember reading about it.

10. 281ric

281ric Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2011
    TX
    Im cheering for you , but youll be surprised how quickly that money can be vacuumed out when youre an owner op.
    Im not trying to discourage you. I was scared sh*tless when I bought my truck, after I bought it, I regreted not doing it earlier.
    Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and youll be allright either way.

11. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Don't get into trucking unless you love trucks. From your questions you don't sound very educated about trucks or even have a favorite brand or model. That tells me you don't love trucks. You just think you could make some easy money. Profit margins are slim to none in this business.

Go buy your favorite truck get trucking if your gonna do it. The brand ain't gonna matter as much as if your heart is in it or not.

ME? I liked Petes, K dubs, cornbinders, Freightliners and Marmons back when I was looking. And the only engine that would do was a mechanical CAT. So i bought a FLD CATliner brand new and still driving her today. I would hate my job if I had to climb up into some ugly plastic truck the "smart" binnizmen are so fond of.

If you can drive and you can wrench and you know your gazintas just get a truck you can love. The rest is easy!

truckman29801 and Catliner Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.