Looking to buy

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by earnies2, May 11, 2023.

1. earnies2

earnies2 Medium Load Member

May 17, 2012
    Dedham, MA.
    I'm looking on buying a newer truck I have a 2009 international prostar 485 cummins 13 spd 355 rears. When the truck was built it was built to haul a 3 axle trailer with papper. It weighs almost 24k with my rack chains,binders APU and 2 tool boxes....my bad for not weighing the truck when I bought it and before I stretched the frame...
    It only gets 5 mpg and I have done everything to improve that....she has 780k on it and oil samples come back clean.
    That being said I need to buy a lighter truck that gets better fuel millage.
    I'm looking at cascadias what should I buy
    I'm thinking I want a 13 speed stick?????
    I pull a flat out of Boston as far as Texas and South Dakota....no west coast
    Looking for susjestions

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Lots of things affect mpg. Tires, synthetic lubricants, using cruise as much as possible, slowing down, etc. Is the fairing still on the cab?

earnies2 Thanks this.
  4. earnies2

May 17, 2012
    Dedham, MA.
    Been there and done that . Changed all sensors,actuators, injectors, slowed down to 60 only gained .05 . Full fairings skyrise sleeper and I drive like a old lady never in a hurry or first up the hill. I have had prime pass me...

5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Ah, the eternal quest. Be happy with what you have, you'll throw good money after bad, and gain nothing. I can only imagine, it's paid for, and $100 grand for new truck today buys a lot of fuel. And when, not if, the whole magila tanks, you can park your the old Cornbinder and go fishin' with no bait on the hook. 5mpg with a truck with that mileage and good samples, is acceptable, I figure.

6. earnies2

May 17, 2012
    Dedham, MA.
    That's all fine but it weigh almost 24k and I can only scale 42k on a all aluminum flat that leaves me limited in the available loads. And the 3 factors in my thoughts are.
    1. The truck is to heavy.
    2. It only gets 5 mpg.
    3 it has 780k on it and to rebuild the motor isn't worth it because it's a prostar and a 2009.
    I think my money is better spent to get a newer truck and alleviate thoes 3 problems.
    And make me more available and productive.
    If I go from 5mpg to 7 MOG that would be about $3500 in fuel savings.

7. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Get the 450/12 speed automatic and 2.Xx gears . Almost every Crapacadia will have that anyways…… then you can hate trucking like the rest of them……

Oxbow and earnies2 Thank this.
  8. earnies2

May 17, 2012
    Dedham, MA.
    Are they that bad that I will hate it?

9. earnies2

May 17, 2012
    Dedham, MA.
    And if they are what else would you susjest?

10. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    $3500? Or in other words, 1 payment, maybe 1.5 (monthly!) payments?

You don't rebuild an engine in search of fuel mileage. You do it when it starts burning oil or ticking or otherwise NEEDS opened up.

A properly operating truck is going to give you the same productivity whether it's a prostar or a Cascadia.

Heavy weight may be an issue if you have had problems scaling typical loads in the past. Otherwise, the devil you know is better than the one you don't. (Usually)

Oxbow and Cat sdp Thank this.
  11. earnies2

May 17, 2012
    Dedham, MA.
    I totally understand it
    I wouldn't rebuild the engine until it was necessary but it does have 780+ miles on it and I don't want to be in the situation whare somthing went south and it's motor time. That's only one of the reasons. The other 2 are just as important. I do relize I could buy someone's lemon. I am willing to deal with that when that problem arrives.
    I'm hoping to get into a 2019/ 2020 with some remaining warranty.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.