Looking to expand or change and need some help

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by ATTransport, Feb 1, 2007.

1. ATTransport

ATTransport Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2007
    First I will apologize if I ask a bunch of questions you guys have answered over and over.

My background is auto mechanics (5 years). I got tired of busting my knuckles and decided to try something different but still in the auto industry.

I bought myself 1 Rollback tow truck, new, 26000 gvw (no cdl). I have been in business for myself a little over 1 year. Business is good and I'm fine in the financials dept. I love driving the truck and being on the road but for a long time I've had the desire to drive a "big" truck long distance.

I am trying to research the O/O aspect of trucking to see if it would be feasible to expand my current operations or go in another direction entirely.

I see that most companies hiring O/O require OTR experience which I have none. I absolutely cannot drive for a company to get the experience. I cannot leave my business, home, and other responsibilities while driving for weeks at a time. Also I could not pay my bills on the starting salary of a co. driver. So I did some more research and found some websites like Getloaded and Freightfinder that claim for a monthly fee to give you access to as many loads as you can handle. Is anyone out there using these services and what are your experiences with them? Would it be possible to keep a truck busy by only using services like them? From what the websites look like, it seems to be to good/easy to be true. So I have to assume it is.

With the towing business, even though under cdl weight, I am still required to have DOT and MC numbers, which I do. So I am familiar with some aspects of the transportation industry, but dont know much about the big trucks.

The websites I mentioned before make it seem like with a truck, trailer and authority you can easily keep on rollin' along picking up loads where ever you go.

I have many more ?'s but I'll stop for now with what I've got. Thank you all for your input and advice.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    Have you thought about expanding the towing operation to include a big truck wrecker? Then you could get some experience on a big truck.

4. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    you might be able to make a killing in towing big rigs if you went and bought a big wrecker. this is called a "niche market". you would still be required to have a CDL however, but in no time, it'll pay for itself, especially if you can get a few contracts. then too, long distance towing can and will come up, especially if your customer wants their rig back from wherever it is. heck, at or about $100.00 per hour, you'd be better off than any trucker out there...........

5. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

The various load boards will give you all the freight you can handle, at a price guaranteed to ensure that you won't be in business for very long. There are a few very rare loads paying a decent rate, but the majority of what is on open boards are loads paying starvation rates. Anyone depending on load boards to keep himself in business will rapidly discover a fondness for Spaghetti'o's and Cup of Noodles, since that's all he'll be able to afford.

What I would do in your case is look over your area and try to find something that complements your existing business. Moving cars with a rollback is a different skill set than doing work with a winch type wrecker, so I am not sure that simply buying a big wrecker and declaring yourself ready to go is a good move. You have to have the recovery skills needed to salvage trucks from accidents, and most companies doing that are able to provide multiple trucks for a job as needed. There is work moving broken trucks from point A to point B, but I am not sue how you would get enough of that at the beginning to make a go of it. A big wrecker is a major investment, and it takes plenty of work to pay for one. And, that work is already being done in your area, so there is a good chance that the market for the work isn't as strong as it could be.

You might research your area and see if there is enough potential business to make the investment in a hydraulic tail or sliding axle trailer and a tractor to pull that, and do machinery moving. The would keep your cost down to a reasonable level, add to your current business in a complementary way, and possibly fit in with your desires. We have a member on here, "Joethemechanic", who does his work in that type of business, and you might send him a pm and see if he can advise you on it. You'll still have to evaluate the business climate where you live, but that might be a better option than a full fledged wrecker operation.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.