Looking to get into flatbedding and then learn heavy haul

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by H827OUT, Mar 25, 2019.

1. H827OUT

H827OUT Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    I am a gypsy right now (living in my truck) so a local flatbed gig wouldn’t work for me right now.
    Yes - Daeske is a serious player, a really impressive group of companies. I was looking for that one company I could call home until I retire and a couple of their companies looked to be a possible fit. But, as you and RidlingDJ suggested it may be a better move to get the flatbed experience elsewhere first.
    I liked what you said about the experience levels in the industry. (Years 1-5). I’m amazed at how many more doors are opened at each stage that you mentioned.
    I will definitely stay on with my company through the first year. I’ve heard this from quite a few people who have more industry smarts than I do. Thanks for your advice and best of luck to you in your O/O flatbed business.

NoBigHurry Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Apply with Paul Transportation even if you don't think they'll hire you. I know for a fact they hired a new cdl grad in Texas.

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Honestly, It's hard to find a decent outfit with less than two years experience, if you want to stage yourself for heavy haul, unfortunately I would actually recommend Roehl or Melton. It's not going to be rainbows and Unicorns, but it will give you the experience to get a better company when you do have 2 years experience.

They're likely to get you home a decent amount of time. After that year, pick a company that has RGNs, it doesn't really matter if they regularly haul os/ow loads as long as it's verifiable for the companies that do. Then start looking at who will take you from there.

It helps to look at trucking like a union model: for the first two years, you're like an apprentice, no one really trusts your ability; after two years, you're like a journeyman, okay they can trust you,but not for serious, important, and dangerous stuff that has the potential to make a lot of money; after 5 years, with a clean record and experience in whatever field you want to go to, you're pretty much considered golden, "in the club" as it were.

Also, in my experience, having friends that do whatever it is you want to do can help a lot, and get you in the door at some places.

6. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    You’re gonna want a western company if you’re interested in getting home... most flatbed companies that have been suggested don’t have consistent western state freight... some that do are...

RAM Trucking out of Oregon
    White Mountain Trucking out of Phoenix
    Smokey Point Distributing out of Washington

Bluedew, NoBigHurry, cke and 1 other person Thank this.
  7. H827OUT

H827OUT Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thanks for the heads up on Paul Transportation. I have visited their website (also looked at Jones Bros site). I will hold off on applying anywhere until I’m close to finishing my first year at Knight. I plan to call Paul Trans and ask the usual questions re: hiring zone, pay, hometime, etc.
    Leavitt currently only hires Oregon and Washington residents. Too bad they sound like a good company to work for.

cke Thanks this.
  8. H827OUT

H827OUT Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Reason for edit: i didny write a response and hit post reply by mistake
    QuietStorm Thanks this.
  9. H827OUT

H827OUT Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thanks a lot for your reply. Very useful key info on flatbed freight and its effect on home time. I’ll research those 3 companies you mentioned...

cke Thanks this.
  10. perlhaqr

perlhaqr Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Apologies if I'm breaking the local board etiquette here by adding to this thread rather than starting my own, but the topic is exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm about to get my CDL (well, hopefully, anyway. :) ) and I'm looking into flatbed as an industry segment of interest to me. Chinatown, you've been suggested as source by others, do you know of any flatbed companies for people based out of Albuquerque that will hire brand new drivers?

(And someone, do please let me know if I should have started a new thread to ask this question.)

11. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Y'all need to stop living in areas have terrible flatbed freight lol

peterbilt_2005 and cke Thank this.
  12. perlhaqr

perlhaqr Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Well, that's certainly a possibility. :D

Like I said in that other thread, I'm so new to this I don't even know what I don't know, yet.

FoolsErrand Thanks this.
  13. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Dont get discouraged if you get a lot of no's and have to work for a few turds first to get in with an honest operation. You gotta pay your dues.

• Truckers Report Jobs