Looking to get into trucking field

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Hateful, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Hateful

Hateful Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Ohio
    With wil-trans as long as you drive for them a year you don't have to pay back the tuition of the schooling

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Oops... My bad. That is a good company. Rumors that they are owned by Prime.

Right now, Chinatown's mind is churning. Will soon post highly detailed suggestions for you. Get ready...(sometimes I think dat boy is a bot)

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Ohio puts you in the area for many choices, including Wil-Trans.
    Jim Palmer Trucking - coast to coast refrigerated trucking.This company is owned by Wil-Trans. Wil-Trans runs only eastern states.
    Contract Freighters - www.cfidrive.com - coast to coast dry van.
    Roehl Transport - flatbed/dry van/refrigerated. Personally, I like their "Dry Van National Fleet", because they run coast to coast.
    Millis Transfer - need $500.00 up front for fees. Dry van & runs easstern half of USA. School in Trenton,OH
    FFE (Frozen Food Express) - coast to coast refrigerated trucking.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    There's more choices, but you can probably find what you want off this list. Meals & lodging are provided, plus transportation to get to the school is provided.

5. Hateful

Dec 24, 2017
    Ohio
    Well I heard swift don't give you very good miles.. I have been trying to do alot of research on different companies and wil-trans seems to be one that stands out plus I can actually drive my own vehicle there instead of getting on a greyhound. Prime they won't let you or so they told me..

6. Hateful

Dec 24, 2017
    Ohio
    Thanks Chinatown.. Which is better refrigerated or dry van

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Wil-Trans and Jim Palmer had/have a contract to haul Prime freight. I read somewhere recently, they're ending the contract, but that may or may not be true. Super nice trucks too.
    [​IMG]

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  8. keebler13579

keebler13579 Heavy Load Member

Nov 16, 2012
    I have never haule dry van only reefer. That being said i would go reefer. People always have to eat.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  9. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Wil-Trans is a very good choice. Chinatown gave some others also.
    If you want to talk to someone at Prime who knows what she's talking about. When you get to the list of Recruiters... go to Nikki Yost. She's really good. Some others... I fear they're just panicking to get the workload off themselves....
    Yet... you're doing good with Will-Trans...... I've heard they run east...while Jim Palmer runs west.... mostly....It's just gossip....

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That's just personal choice. I did reefers most of my career and liked it real well. There's a lot less stress with dry van, but I liked the hard running coast to coast pulling reefers. Elogs will slow that down though. No more, "Which log book do I show the DOT officer when he walks up to the truck."

Fuelinmyveins and Oldironfan Thank this.
  11. DoubleO7

DoubleO7 Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Swift is rotton, but even on a bad week, you should do $500. They are easy to get hired on. I came back to trucking after well over a decade off the road. I did 6 months with Swift and moved up to a great company. I knew what I was doing. It was part of my plan to do the 6 months and move up. I knew, from previous experience how to play the game. Megacarriers are pretty much the same.

The key is to learn, keep your nose clean, no tickets or preventable. NONE! Then you will have lots of options available.

Hateful Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.