Looking to get out of Foodservice

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by eightballwoody, Aug 7, 2019.

1. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Why? You are getting paid. I was sick as #### last night when I went into work and they wouldn't put me out on the road so I asked if I could load trucks. It's all work man, you are no better or worse than anyone else because of what you are doing.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    R+L doesn’t unless you are classed as a combo driver.

4. Gomer1969

Gomer1969 Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Top rate in Houston should be $30.63 for P/D after the latest raise starts up which will be the first of September. Linehaul will be .6898cpm plus d/h pay which is $16 for a set and $27.30 for the dock workers. Yard spotters get .35 more than the dock so they'll be at $27.65. Now I'm assuming that's what Houston is paying but I'm not running out of that terminal. I have a buddy who runs linehaul out of there and I know his mileage rate is the same as mine.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  5. eightballwoody

eightballwoody Light Load Member

Jul 19, 2019
    So if top rate is 30, what would the starting rate be

6. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    The only downside to all of this is with the wants and needs you have with the new job you are pretty much describing your job. Like my job would be a good fit for you but you can't work nights, pay isn't going to be where you need it starting over at another barn but will get there. You might wanna try coke/Pepsi. I know most of the delivery guys we have start at around 4am when I'm coming back in from my line haul and we don't use side loaders so you are using a fancy powered hand truck to move half pallets into stores or just dumping full pallets on the dock at grocery stores for the merchandiser. They are all run different so that may not be the case in your neck and but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

road_runner Thanks this.
  7. eightballwoody

eightballwoody Light Load Member

Jul 19, 2019
    I don’t mind starting lower. Just not so low it’s not worth it. Can’t start at $20. Would need at least $25 with a chance at ot. Main thing is no nights and no sat/sun

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  8. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Also, consider at this point in the year by the time you get into whatever company’s system and on your own, you’ll be dealing with the winter slow down as well..

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  9. TugHillRider

TugHillRider Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Fort Myers, FL
    It’s got nothing to do with being better than anyone

10. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Okay so why? You are getting paid right? Are you working for anyone yet? You were asking about jobs in another thread correct? I can tell you now if you get into anything other than otr get ready for a day here or there of doing something other than driving. Sometimes it's that or a layoff depending on the company you work for.

11. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    So just so we are being real here you want a Monday - Friday solar powered job from day one? Those are the runs at most places guys have to claw their way up the seniority list to get. I'm not saying it's not out there but you might have a hell of a time finding it without doing what you are doing now.

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.