Looking to switch

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Jordysmash, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Jordysmash

Jordysmash Light Load Member

May 28, 2018
    any advice on how to make the job easier on yourself

VantaiTatted Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cardfan89

Cardfan89 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Missouri
    Work at your own pace.
    If it's pallet loaded break down the pallet and separate all the cases out by stop.
    Only do what you feel comfortable doing ex if you can do 10 bags of rice but it's tough and hurts do two stacks of 5 instead.
    Stretch before unloading.
    Keep in mind no matter what its gonna get done. I think this is the most important aspect I have seen many guys quit because they get frustrated. Your paid to get the grocerys off the trailer. Not get them off in record time.

4. Jordysmash

May 28, 2018
    thanks for your reply. Sounds as though companies have reasonable offloading timelines from what you have stated. No sense in hurting yourself in a rush

5. Jordysmash

May 28, 2018
    What was your system?

6. double_r

double_r Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh,PA
    Don't overload the dolly, just because the dolly can handle 600lbs doesn't mean you have to load 600lbs
    Start with heavy on the bottom and light on top
    Look at your delivery area. Is it flat? Uphill? Downhill? Steps? Load accordingly, don't be a hero.
    Get the truck as close to the delivery area that you SAFELY can

During training LISTEN to what the other drivers tell you and see what they do BUT once you get out on your own you will find a system that works best for YOU

7. double_r

Sep 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh,PA
    Most companies like to see 100-120 cases per hour average. Sounds like a lot? It's not, you would be surprised how much you can off load in an hour.

Cardfan89 and Jordysmash Thank this.
  8. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    The routing is based on each stop taking x amount of time, but sometimes those estimates are so far removed from reality that it’s laughable. It’ll give me 25 minutes to deliver 60 cases to a place where I have to double park on the street and make narrow stacks to fit down a set of stairs with a sharp turn and narrow doorway at the bottom. Takes me 45+ min every time. But then on another day it’ll give me an hour and a half for an easy key drop of 60 cases at a hotel.

Most managers should be understanding that the times can be messed up and will be patient as you learn your route and develop a system for doing things more efficiently.

9. VantaiTatted

VantaiTatted Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Maryland
    This is excellent advice. Food service is more of a mental game than anything. The biggest thing you need to do is get a system going for separating the products loaded on the pallets. Keeping a neat and orderly trailer will help your day go by so much better.

double_r, Jordysmash and Cardfan89 Thank this.
  10. Jordysmash

May 28, 2018
    I see dot foods and usfoods run a 4 day work week? Can you even make a decent weekly gross only working 4 days in food service?

double_r Thanks this.
  11. double_r

Sep 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh,PA
    Yes and no. Last April I started GFS in the chain division(profile picture is my chain truck). Chain is a 4 day work week, either 2 layover routes or 1 layover route, out 2 nights and 1 local route. Easy week but the money was not worth it. Switched to the street account side, 5 days, 45-55 hours but more money and sleep in my home bed.
    DOT is a redistributor, all dock work.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.