Looking to train with a big mill and run hard with them.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Wigidwack, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Wigidwack

Wigidwack Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Are you just running up your post count, or do you really like being extremely unhelpful?

I'm done being civil with you. You're obviously another driver with a chip on his shoulder venting through an online forum about your woes.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Sorry we're not PC and all touchy feely here.

What was dumb, was waiting this long to begin with. You drive across the track...before the train gets there.

What you're telling us is, there are no other options out there.

What we're being told by many a new comer in this forum is, we don't understand what it's like to be dead broke without a forward vision and nowhere else to go...what a laugh.

Truck driver training can be gotten for free, or less than $1000 in some areas. Then you will double if not triple the number of companies that will hire/train you. For free since you have the easy part out of the way.

But.....what I am seeing here. Is a long list of people who have waited until their savings and unemployment have run out. Then come to trucking out of desperation and try to continue talking down to "the trash", in the same manner as they had in the past.

Don't come out onto the football field, if you can't take a hit. Cause you ARE going to get hit.

If you think we're completely unhelpful in this forum. Just wait until you deal with a lumper at a grocery warehouse. Or Mr Supertrucker at the terminal.

Actually no, I ask you a question. Although my opening statement was a bit tongue in cheek. To which you immediately went on the defensive trying to explain your financials.

Just as you're doing now. All the while, you've chosen to completely ignore any suggestions/input that were given to you by anyone.

You state much of the information is contradictory. Well, trucking isn't a financial statement or software code. It's real life. there are no cookie cutters here.

You want a company who will finance and train. There are some, not so many now. But they're out there.

Why did you even bother to ask/post if you were going to go on a spill about how we don't understand what you're trying to accomplish.

While you may see a chip on my shoulder. I see some constructive input in attempting to steer you away from what could be a very bad mistake. Or at least a costly one.

Changing jobs in this industry, generally cost money. There's no need to go to a substandard company to start, then apply 6 months later to a better one. When you could have applied there to begin with.

But then again, most people wouldn't have blown through their savings without paying for a $700 Community College training program. Let alone come into a forum to find someone to blame for their current problems/issues.

RickG Thanks this.
  4. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Watkins & Shepard puzzles me . According to Safer they have less than 800 power units . If a company is that small and so good why do they keep having to train people ?
    Yes , we dislike the larger companies . They are interested in profit at the expense of employees . I've quoted the CEO of Schneider stating their level of pay now is lower than it was in the 80's . U.S. Xpress ws audited and fined for documentation falsification ? Wht caused their drivers to violate HOS ?
    Be very careful of "company paid " training . Circumstances beyond your control could prevent you from meeting your contractual obligation and you'd end up owing them thousands . That has happened to far too many drivers .
    Trucking companies may or may not do credit checks but their insurers do . Applicants with poor credit are considered higher risk .
    http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Banking/YourCreditRating/how-bad-credit-can-cost-you-a-job.aspx

5. dancnoone

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Rick,

I can't explain why that happens, although I have my suspicions. I left them about a year ago, was happy with them for the most part when I left. And would go back tomorrow, if the need arose.

A brief summary would be, they have less warts than most. :biggrin_25525:

Soon2Be has been with them for some time now. Even while a lot are bailing, he still remains happy with them. And if he threw his pay scale out for all to see, it would leave many wondering....why?

For the most part, I think it's a personality fit at some companies. While it's a money thing at others. It's difficult to find a company that accomplishes both.

To map out a possible scenario of W&S. They are a north western company. So you might expect a few drivers to quit when they get the full impact of what that really means. Experienced and newbie alike.

They handled a lot of LTL in the past and hired drivers specifically for that job. Many of us left, when we were advised we had to go OTR or find another job.

Their rate of pay, and the follow up pay raises for solo drivers is slower than Christmas. Less than 5 years will NOT see .35 a mile. Which really isn't a big deal (to some drivers) when freight is moving and you're doing LTL.

And of course the usual excuse you see at every company. Miles drop, money drops...and they jump ship for more money.

Long ago it used to be, "I've got to have 4000 miles a week"

Then it dropped to, "I've got to have 3000 miles a week."

Now we're somewhere between 1800 and 2400 a week, is what you're being told you'll get.

Not really a bad week for someone who doesn't have a heavy debt load, and is home every day or weekend. But lousy as hell for the guy/gal who stays out for weeks at a time.

The tide will eventually turn, to regional freight. You'll only see teams running OTR/Long Haul in the future.

RickG Thanks this.
  6. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    So newbies going to W&S find the same they find at other training companies . 1500 miles a week at $.30 a mile doesn't add up to the $40,000 a year they heard about . They find out they can't support their family on that pay so they leave .

7. dancnoone

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    No sir, not at all. Newbies will be allowed to run as they find themselves able to. Although they may treat them with kids gloves the first week or two.

If they're a hard runner, W&S will put the miles on them once they've shown they can handle it.

That's not to say they will get 3000 plus every week. But they will run you as hard as you want to run. Based on what I see of S2B's post now, that's still the way they are running.

BTW, I do believe it's .28 or .29 a mile now for a solo. Not sure. But their teams make much more, and run as hard as they want.

8. Wigidwack

Wigidwack Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Your reading comprehension skills are low. I stated previously that I am employed. Unemployment is behind me, mediocre employment is on my plate.
    As I stated previously, there are no schools with tuition lower than roughly $5000 within commuting distance. This free training you're talking about requires Pell grants, or the WIA. I do not qualify.
    I wasn't grouping you with anyone else, I was simply saying you were being unhelpful.
    I failed to see the question, as the one statement you ended with a question mark was surely rhetorical in nature.
    Right, and you inferred that after reading my feedback on the research I did about the companies you proposed as good choices for my situation, given known circumstances. Again, your reading comprehension is low.
    I have been trying to paint a better picture of the things I'm after so that the feedback I receive is better aimed at helping me personally. Again, you use the term "we" as if I was generalizing all of the folks on this forum. I was aiming my replies to your quoted text at you personally.
    Considering the Community Colleges in my surrounding area charge at or near $5000 for CDL training, I'll assume you didn't read anything I wrote originally. Maybe you just assumed I wouldn't have checked there? Maybe you could also help me understand who I've blamed for my current problems/issues? It seems as though you've certainly got all the answers.

As unproductive as this is, I quite enjoy the ongoing banter. Thanks for your continuing replies.

9. mizdageeragn

mizdageeragn Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2009
    almost there
    If you are serious about getting your cdl very inexpensively consider a state of Ohio tech college. In just a few minutes I found a few quite near or in Cleveland. In your financial situation you could be eligible for a grant, federal funding,state funding or a low interest student loan. Many companies have a reimbursement plan for newbies who go through a course like one these. The company I started with only had 500 tractors and began reimbursing me after 90 days in three payments 8 weeks apart. Also the loans and grants and scholarships ARE out there if you are willing to look.
    Good Luck

Oh by the way quit trying to argue with a driver; it's like pig wrestling, after awhile you begin to realize they like it.:laughing-guffaw::laughing-guffaw::laughing-guffaw:

10. Wigidwack

Wigidwack Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I LOLed. :biggrin_2559:

11. sandman1976

sandman1976 Medium Load Member

Mar 5, 2009
    burgaw,nc
    i haven't read the whole thread,but look into heavy haul or the new alternative energy equipment hauling.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.