Looking to Work Do CDL Training with Knight but They Want My W-2's

Discussion in 'Knight' started by lbanister, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    One poster wonders are always fun, No information or explanation of what happend. Thanks for humping a dead thread.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gerald Mullenix

Gerald Mullenix Bobtail Member

May 23, 2015
    HONESTLY Knight asking for my past W-2's is rather bothersome for me. I am very protective of my privacy, and I know people who work in HR for fortune 500 companies. There are many ways to verify employment without giving tax info.
    When you hand another company your W-2's you are giving them access to all kinds of info on you. Yes I know that companies have your SSN, credit report, etc.....however there is a thing called The Privacy Act. And from the people I have talked to there is no justifiable reason for a company to want your past tax info from other employers. I have also called my past employers and asked them if this was normal practice, they said it was not. As a matter of fact they told me BY LAW the only thing they are allowed to verify is time of employment. Any other questions they might have they are not allowed to give without MY written permission.
    So asking for my past W-2's is raising alarm bells for me. I have already talked to 2 other Trucking companies saying I would not give my past W-2's and they were ok with it. All W-2's say is I work for the company sometime during that year. It honestly does not verify time of employment.

4. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    if you are that paranoid go somewhere they do it the way you want

5. Gerald Mullenix

Gerald Mullenix Bobtail Member

May 23, 2015
    It has nothing to do with paranoia....HOWEVER, I was a victim of Identity theft. In this day and age you want to protect your personal info. Trust me, my divorce destroyed my credit, however there was a car purchased in my name in Fargo, North Dakota.....and I have NEVER been there.
    Plus when I have other HR professionals who tell me this is not a "standard industry practice" then I do get a little worried.
    Let me put it this way, if you went to apply for a Truck Lease and they wanted to know your Blood type, would you give it to them? NO, because they dont need that info....is that being paranoid? If they wanted your financial info, you would give that to them, because it matters to getting the lease. However if they asked you to provide a reciept and reasoning for purchasing Beef Jerky at the Flying J 6 months ago, would you give that to them? NO, because your beef jerky purchase, although financial in nature, really has no bearing on getting a lease.
    I can prove my employment history and so can other companies without getting my financial history from past employers. That is not paranoia.

6. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    I would not go as far as Paranoia, But I will say that this seems to be blown way out of portion. I agree with cranky if its going to keep you up at night then find a different place to work. I'm not really worried about a Billion dollar company giving 2 craps about what I made at a past job nor am I worried that anyone is going to steal my identity ether.

To each there own, Also on the note of privacy, this is the trucking industry get used to seeing this on a daily basis at a truck stop.

7. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    No, it's not. Been trucking for close to twenty years now, have NEVER been required to provide previous years' W-2's to a new possible employer to verify previous jobs. Nor would I. And I've had more driving jobs than some of you had socks.

W-2's are not required to verify employment, and as another poster pointed out are a violation of privacy and possible point of identity theft. Your new job has no need to know what your previous income was.

Screw'em. Knight ain't the only outfit out there that trains rookies. Nor is it the best training outfit. Actually, from what I've seen on the road, Knight pretty much exists in the gooey stuff under the barrel. Find someone better to train with.

8. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    This part I would believe. I don't change jobs enough to know, normally I find one I like and stay there.

9. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Knight used to be better, but it's getting down around CR England/Swift levels of crap now.

10. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Don't expect me to apologize for following the money. I'm a merc. I'm loyal to my family and my paycheck, in that order. When someone offers me money to work, I work. When someone else offers me more money, I'm gone. The whole concept of "company loyalty" is so much horse manure to me. No company gets my loyalty. They only get to purchase my services until they get outbid.

Dna Mach and Gerald Mullenix Thank this.
  11. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Don't worry, das comrades from Knight Nation, sorry Noble Knights will be along shortly to say how good Knight totally is.

hola_nacho_el_knighto.jpg - I'm Kevin Knight and don't forget that I tried to cover up a crime! Ashton v. Knight Transportation

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.