looks like i might be going to a new job soon

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ad356, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    I know.. what I mean is it won’t take you any time at all to learn 10 farms in and out. I do anywhere between 1-4 a day but there’s at least 75+!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    I've been giving it allot of thought lately and the deal breaker with my current job is my current employers lack of compassion for family emergencies. My son was really really sick a few months back. Throwing up 2-3 times an hour and falling over on his way to the bathroom. We had to take him to the hospital multiple times until we finally got a diagnosis, it was a deep sinus infection. For several days he was extremely sick until we got a proper diagnosis and antibiotic. All I got from my company was grief, told me they didn't have any relief.

I personally had a high fever one night. My temperature was 103. I called my employer and told them if it hadn't gone down before I had to report to work the next day I would be medically unable to work. I got the same grief from them, no relief for me. Luckily my fever went down by morning and I went to work.

I also sustained a serious personal injury. Very large, very deep gash in my knee. 10 stitches. While they had no choice but to accommodate my injury they were less then great about it. After about a week they would nag me when I'm coming back.

Their lack of understanding concerning personal and family matters out of the ordinary is concerning for me. My family needs to come before my job. Always has, always will.

The most extreme example I know is a driver that used to work for my current employer. His son had just died. My boss told this man he needed to be in the truck, dispite the very recent death of his teenage son. The driver in this case now works for bugman and sons, he says he is much much more understanding of these situations. I saw him at the plant and he told me his story.

These things are pretty unacceptable. You dont have enough drivers partially due to your own actions.

dwells40, Farmerbob1 and Western flyer Thank this.
  4. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    My potential employer called me. Said he's interested in hiring me only needs to run my MVR through insurance. My MVR is in good shape

Texas_hwy_287 and Western flyer Thank this.
  5. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    You feel like your getting a divorce.
    Couple more years you'll learn to never look back.
    We're just hired guns.
    It's just business to the owners and the drivers.

6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i know what you mean by, "no relief" as in another driver being available.

i was actually once told, i cannot take time off, if i was sick, as the relief driver they had (only one) had to cover many other warehouses, besides mine.

not my problem i told the boss.

i'll give you a week's notice, that i will be sick then...ok..???

he didn't like that...and i could care less.

when ever i did call in sick (very rarely), either the boss or the relief driver had to cover my run.

tough noogies, as humans we do get sick once in a while.

7. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    My current boss treats people like pieces of equipment

8. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    You've been complaining about your boss for who knows how long. Please take the new job a.s.a.p.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  9. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Your wrong. Humans do get sick.
    Truck drivers never get sick.
    Truck drivers aren't human.
    We never call out sick OTR.
    We know there's nobody to cover for us.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  10. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I have not had to call out sick in my entire working life. Of course I’ve worked with the flu, minor injuries and such. I think I’ve had a couple colds and two flu bugs I worked through in the two years I’ve been out driving. THAT SAID, we are the captain of the ship driving these trucks. If I Ever deemed I was unfit to drive and with my history if anyone or any dispatcher questioned me as I told them I was too sick to drive, I’d be angry!!!

I wouldn’t ask to be out sick, you tell them! If you leave the average dispatcher an opening, they’ll push right through it. Next time just pick up the phone and call and say “I’ve got 103° fever I’m shutting down I can’t safely drive” END OF STORY! If they question you, they are violating federal law.

buddyd157, Western flyer and TokyoJoe Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.