loop hole with leasing or leasing to own a rig

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by rednecktrucking, Oct 26, 2012.

1. rednecktrucking

rednecktrucking Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2012
    moweaqua, illinois
    ive been thinking trust me my mind hasnt stopped thinking yet and probally wont but the main coarse of action i need to take is worrying about gettin my cdl in my hand and then worry about wat needs to take place in order to do the o/o business. im have trouble chosing a company to get my cdl from, im thinking swift or roehl but idk yet

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brownsfan16

Brownsfan16 Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Don't get your CDL from a company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go through a community college or something. If you go through a company you are basically obligated to work for them for like a year or something.

The first thing I was told in school when we had recruiters come in was they would offer you the grand idea of a lease purchase thing.

They told me NEVER do a lease purchase from a big company. If you want your own truck you save up the money and you buy your own truck and be a O/O. Don't be a lease purchase person for a big mega carrier. They said being a lease purchase employee was worse than just being a company driver. There is nothing wrong with being a company driver!!!

Basically either be a O/O or company driver. Don't be a lease purchase employee.

Have heard to many stories from people that companies would basically not give a lease purchase person enough miles to cover the truck payments and then they obviously couldn't make payments and that person would get there truck repossessed from the company and they get hit with like a 10K fine.

Now maybe there are some people who have been successful being a lease purchase operator but so far I haven't heard one success story.

mamamullins Thanks this.
  4. rednecktrucking

Oct 17, 2012
    moweaqua, illinois
    well here isthe thing i cant afford to go get my cdl myself, im in the process of gettin out of debt now and i dont have a job now and i need one so thats why i choose to go with a company to get it. i doubt i can get finacial help plus with going to a company to get a cdl i figured maybe swift but i also consider roehl too ive applied at both swift called me at one time

5. Brownsfan16

Brownsfan16 Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Then I would suggest you forget about this lease thing right now and just be a company driver until you have all that other stuff in order and quite a bit in the bank to spend on this.

6. mamamullins

mamamullins Medium Load Member

May 4, 2011
    Ingalls, IN
    Rednecktrucking, if you are unemployed then you need to go to your unemployment office, and see if you can qualify for the WIA program. This program is designed to give people who are unemployed an opportunity to train in a different field. They have a school that they work with, and will pay for the training, the gas to get back and forth to school, and your driving test to get your cdl. That would be the better choice then going with a company, because once you get your cdl then you can apply to any company that accepts students.

Now, swift has the highest accident rate and the lowest pay for a student...so if you have no choice then I would actually consider Roehl or Central Refrigerated. As a matter of fact Central may be your way to go, because they will help get your cdl, train you, solo as a company driver for a while, and then maybe look at the l/p. Like I said you are better off going to the unemployment office, and see if you can qualify for the WIA.

7. rednecktrucking

Oct 17, 2012
    moweaqua, illinois
    that program your talking about in illinois take a dang year i dont have a year to take a coarse, i need to start makin the money now, im not wanting to wait a year to get into a truck to start makin money i just had a call from swift saying they would pay for the schoolin and would give me a dedicated run at .34 cpm starting out and i would be home every weekend

8. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    There are several carriers that have training programs. Swift, Roehl, Covenant, US Xpress, Schneider (?), CRST, etc., I would not even consider a lease until you get your CDL and work in the business for a while. You may not even like trucking. If you live near a truck stop you may want to go by and pick up some of the free trucking magazines. They are free and filled with ads from carriers looking for drivers. You can also check the jobs or company listings on this and some of the other trucking websites. Keep in mind that you will be required to sign a work agreement in exchange for your training. Most require 12 months work commitment. I believe that CRST only requires a 6 months commitment. If you leave the company for any reason, you will be responsible for repaying the company for your training. That can run as high as $5,000 or more. On the positive side, it can be an alternative to getting into a truck within a shorter period of time and you can get your CDL with no cost to you as long as you complete your work agreement.

mamamullins Thanks this.
  9. rednecktrucking

Oct 17, 2012
    moweaqua, illinois
    well ive heard from swift today and after schoolin i can get a dedicated route starting at .34 cpm and be home every weekend. but i havent talked to roehl yet so i dont know who to go with yet alot of drivers on here say go with roehl and some say go with swift

10. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    They will tell you ANYTHING to get you in that drivers seat. While .34 to start may be true, and also a dedicated account, did they mention that dedicated account will get you an astounding 1200 miles a week? My advice to you, listen to what their drivers are saying about the company. That will tell you the truth. A recruiter is paid to hire as many people as possible. I bet if you call up any company they will feed you the pie in the sky just to get you into their truck. Take it all with a grain of salt.

11. rednecktrucking

Oct 17, 2012
    moweaqua, illinois
    well im going with swift roehl wont take me unless i go to a tech school or a college program to get my cdl, which i cant do because i cant afford it at all and i doubt i can get help so i choose to go get my cdl with swift and get my 1 year exp. so hopefully all goes well ive heard good and bad about them but ill take the good with the bad

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.