Loose Tires Again

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by mjd4277, Oct 10, 2019.

1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I have seen bearing failure many times, where they lost the whole hub, drum and all, it will surprise you how far they will roll after coming off too. I know where one set was a week or so ago, it was out in the tundra, and I did not feel like going out and retrieving them. lol
    It would also surprise you how many loses them on a trailer and does not notice when it happens, it doesn't seem possible, but have seen it several times. I even went to the scales for one that had lost a set of drive tires, and drove right up on the scale without them. lol
    We went looking for his tires, and he couldn't tell me where he lost them, and he even had to lock his interlock in when they abandoned him. lol

The most I have seen by far was on oil filled hubs, but then back then most trailers had oil filled hubs too.
    A lot of them I have seen was within 50 miles or less of having a wheel seal or new bearings installed, and they tightened the bearings too much.

Bud A., Rideandrepair and x1Heavy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    My brother had a bad habit of busting bolts. He went out to the auto store and bought metric rotor bolts for replacing rusted weak factory ones in his old Windstar one time.

Turned into several more trips of 20 plus miles round to get more bolts busting. Bust bust bust. Would not surprised me if he had to buy 48 bolts to stop breaking the new ones in place.

Bud A. and buddyd157 Thank this.
  4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    well at least THIS TIME, the cops got the trucker.

i see many 1-800-sue-trucker, lawyers standing by.....call now..!!!!!

x1Heavy and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  5. Shawn2130

Shawn2130 Heavy Load Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Ontario
    Most trailers that have lost their wheels are the little trailers pulled behind cars and pickups.

No one bothers to look behind the grease cap to check and see the condition of the bearings until too late.

I prefer the oil type as I can see the oil level during inspections.

If oil is gone, there’s an issue, fix it.

All the trailers and trucks I’ve looked at all had double nuts with some type of locking ring or tabs.

Would have to be a failure of bearings or lost of oil or mechanic not doing their job properly for the whole assembly to come off the axle.

I don’t trust grease bearings. The only trailer we have uses unit bearings packed with grease from factory.

I’m a deaf driver, no way to hear if bearings are failing.

At least with oil types, I have a better chance of finding an issue before it becomes a major failure.

x1Heavy and Bud A. Thank this.
  6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    this can be true. i do know of a couple of guys that have small boats and campers. every fall when they ain't gonna pull either trailer, they take part the wheels, and clean the bearing and grease them and reinstall with new grease seals. as well as check all the light bulbs and wiring.

Shawn2130 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.