Losing Weight While On The Road..You CAN Do It!

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Batteries Not Included, May 25, 2010.

1. Batteries Not Included

Batteries Not Included Bobtail Member

May 5, 2010
    Northeast Pa.
    Hello Drivers..

Like many of you,after a few years on the road I noticed I was starting to pack on the weight.At first it wasn't too bad but when I reached 220 pounds, it was time to do something about it.For some it might be time to do something at 300 pounds, for others, it may only be 150 pounds.To each their own..

I started thinking about what I was eating during an average day in the truck.Morning would find me at the Pilot for a couple of doughnuts and a ''Cadillac'' - half hot chocolate, half coffee. Hell, while I was there I might grab an Egg Mc Muffin too.

When I refuled during the day,it would be Wendy's burgers,along with a Hershey bar for later and maybe a bag of Dorito's and a refill of my Pepsi.Dinner would be one of the truckstops,usually a Petro steak or something at a T.A.

When I got by the house I would eat decent,and just blamed my weight gain and poor eating habits on the lack of available healthy choices at the truckstops.That's true, but only so much.You can eat a lot healthier than you think.Even on the road.

When I finally decided that I wasn't buying the next biggest waist size and that the weight had to come off, I made some changes that I found to be really effective.Maybe they'd work for other drivers who need to drop some weight..

Alright, first thing, as we all know is eat less and move more.Ok,seemed easy enough.That meant dropping the doughnuts and most of the garbage I was eating.Remember,it's not a diet, it's a LIFESTYLE CHANGE,but it's a change most of us can do without too much of a hassle.

Just give it some time,and remember weight loss is a process, not an event.It took a while to pack it on, give it some time to get it off.Don't be discouraged if it doesn't happen immediately.

Another change will be to shop at a supermarket and stock your cooler.Avoid heavilly processed meats with lots of salts,like ham and pastrami for instance.You'll be doing most of your own food preparation from now on.You do have time.You can make something fairly healthy in about the same time it takes the lady at Wendy's to screw up your order.

One of the first things to go besides my beloved doughnuts,was the SODA.The average 12 ounce can has about 8 tablespoons of sugar.TImes that by 2 or 3 -32 ounce cups each day and it really adds up.Drink water and lots of it.Water will help flush fat from your system.

Instead of doughnuts in the morning, I would make a bowl of oatmeal or shredded wheat with some raisins and A PACKET of sugar. It tastes pretty good.A banana to snack on would hold me over to lunch..

Lunch would be a bowl of soup(but watch the sodium levels in the brand you choose.some of them are through the roof!) and crackers and an orange as desert..

Now this part here was a lifesaver, and this is where having an APU or an inverter really comes in handy.Get a George Foreman grill and use that to cook the portion of meat you will have at dinner.I would get about 5 chicken breasts and cook one each day.Later on,I've noticed they last a few days longer if you cook them all at once and then microwave as needed.

Chicken is pretty versatile and you can do lots of stuff with it.You can make a salad and slice it into it.Good stuff.Or you can add it to a can of soup.Or another favorite of mine is to serve it with Uncle Bens cooked rice that is in single servings and is ready after a minute in the microwave.A can of veggies and you're good to go!

For snacks, you can still munch on some cookies.Get the 100 calorie bags or pudding cups.Just keep the portions under control..No getting crazy..

Another essential element to this weight loss was to excercise. Eating lighter will sure help, but so will some light excercise.You don't have to kill yourself, and you don't have to find a gym.We're on the road all day.We never run out of road.Use some of it to walk.

Park the truck,put on your sneakers and comfortable shorts.A reflective vest isn't a bad idea either.Now that you're out of the truck,just walk for about 15 minutes one way,then walk back the 15 minutes to the truck.While you walk, rotate your arms in one direction, then the opposite way..

As you build up stamina,and your schedule permits, you can increase the pace and the distance.You can use a nearby tree to do a few leglifts,a nice patch of grass is a great place to do some push ups or sit ups.

This isn't S.E.A.L. training or an endurance test.Take it easy and make it enjoyable.It feels nice to be out of the truck,and away from the knuckleheads at the truckstop.It also helps prevent blood clots in your legs.A condition that puts LOTS of drivers out of work.

After a few weeks,you may begin to notice you feel better,and you're sleep is improved.Not long afterwards, you should begin to notice the weight starting to drop.I lost around a pound or so a week until I reached my target weight of 185 pounds.Two years later,I havent gained any of it back.

It took a while,sometimes I didn't feel like walking and I took a day off here and there.I still broke down and had an occasional chocolate shake.It doesn't have to be constant deprivation. I will have a steak on fridays till I die. But stick it out, try variations that work for you.Maybe more tuna,and less chicken kinda thing.Throw in some beans and greens..

Sorry for the long post.I hope this helps some people out.I found the hardest part to getting started was my own stinking thinking.Once I quit listening to the voice that demanded a whopper,it got easier and easier..

Best wishes,and miles of smiles..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RoadsideWellCare

RoadsideWellCare Bobtail Member

May 25, 2010
    Hubbard, OH
    Batteries,

Excellent post. I couldn't have written it better.

Additionally if packing a lunch or cooler isn't the easiest to do.....

....begin making a list of truck stops that have a larger restaurant/menu. Many have salad bars where you can easily add a piece of grilled chicken/salmon and your meal is healthy and complete.

I know this can start adding up $$$$ but you'll save by not needing BP or cholesterol medications and/or a surgeon doing a Roto-Rooter on your coronaries.

jeannie62 Thanks this.
  4. jeannie62

jeannie62 Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2010
    small town in S.W.Missouri
    :biggrin_2559: ROTO-ROOTER..........CUTE, I LIKE IT !

5. soon2betrucking

soon2betrucking Road Train Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    great post!. thank you....one question... knives,forks,spoons,bowels,containers,plates the grill,pots etc... if im not anyplace where their is running water, whats the best thing to do to clean all this stuff?
    cleaning it all could be done with paper towels and water till i find a sink im sure, but what do i do with the grill?

also... another thing people could do as far as walking goes...
    when parking at a truck stop, park as far away from the actual ts as you can, in the way back, you can usually find a spot, no noise, and you get the longer walk to an from, i have only been bothered 3 times at night in 2 years of driving by LL and money seakers,

Batteries Not Included Thanks this.
  6. RoadsideWellCare

RoadsideWellCare Bobtail Member

May 25, 2010
    Hubbard, OH
    Good tips

About the grill.....
    Well either wrap it up in a bag until you find water or perhaps carry a large spray bottle of water just for that purpose? Scrub the grill with the "scrubbie thing" then douse it with the spray bottle to remove as much as you can. just my 2 cents

7. bubba mark

bubba mark Medium Load Member

Apr 9, 2009
    I have a big plastic container that I carry with me. Plus I usually carry a few extra gallons of water. What I will do is heat up some water in my microwave and use the container as a makeshift sink. Then I rinse my dishes with water from the jug. It also works for my Forman grill. I have never used a bigger grill out on the road so I have no clue about that.

8. Batteries Not Included

Batteries Not Included Bobtail Member

May 5, 2010
    Northeast Pa.
    I get plastic spoons,knives and forks from Wendy's.They are real sturdy and better than anything you can buy in a store.

The George Foreman grill has a teflon coating.It can be easily cleaned with a wet paper towel.

I see that advise often written in trucking publications too.Myself, I'm a little leery of it and to tell you the truth, I ignore it. If I leave the truck for any amount of time, I like to ensure the truck is parked in a well lit, highly visible area of the truck stops.

Many truckstops attract thieves, drug addicts and prostitutes who are also thieves and drug addicts themselves. Thieves like it when you make their job easy by parking in an area where it's difficult for them to be seen while they loot your truck or trailer..

I think the advise was well meant,but not really practical.If you want excercise,you have to do it.You can just as easily set aside some time to walk a few laps around the truckstop.I would caution any driver, especially the ladies against parking in an area where help might not be around if you need it..

9. hindsy

hindsy Road Train Member

Mar 23, 2010
    USA
    I agree with you on the last part. I don't care how tough I think I am. I want to be able to acquire help when I need it. I'm a large enough man that I shouldn't need all that much, but there are bigger people than me out there, and quite frankly, crazier too!
    I would say any female driver should be cautious and protect themselves. Parking close in a well lit area is one form of keeping yourself safe. Just makes sense.

10. 3.14

3.14 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Arizona
    you can definitely lose weight while out on the road. when i drove for swift, i gained 30lbs. i went from weighing 155lbs to 185lbs. now that i drive for knight, i'm usually starving, eat once a day, and have dropped down, and maintained my weight between 160-165lbs. hey, sometimes i gotta pick what i wanna spend my money on: food, shower, or the CAT scale.

teddy_bear6506 Thanks this.
  11. RAILSPLITTER

RAILSPLITTER Medium Load Member

May 2, 2009
    Coronado, CA
    I don't have any weight issues, but this is a good topic. It all boils down to making healthy choices at the table, and getting your fair share of exercise, even if that means routinely parking farther out and walking a bit more. I usually only eat one restaurant meal a day, generally lunch or dinner off the truck stop buffet, when a salad bar is available on the side. I try to avoid greasy fried fare, going more for "down home cooking." I save heller money and eat healthier breakfasts and snacks by stocking my 40-quart Igloo with healthy foods, the same kind I would buy to stock my fridge at home. That includes fruit smoothies, lowfat milk, diet soda, etc. Most processed foods are high in sodium, so I make sandwiches with fresh chicken salad, albacore tuna, foods like that which taste good but don't have as much sodium or fat as processed foods. I add all the trimmings too... tomatoes, onions, hot peppers (I eat raw jalapeno slices in my sandwiches all the time), avocado, mustard, low-fat mayo, lean cheese like Swiss, the whole nine yards. Same goes for fruit in the mornings... a smoothie followed by fresh fruit an hour or two later is a good way to start the day, and you can still have your coffee first if you want, as I sometimes do when I walk in to shower early in the morning. If I want something more substantial for breakfast, I'll have cereal with fresh strawberries and banana... a whole lot healthier than most breakfast buffets. Sure, I hit the breakfast buffet now and then, once or maybe twice a week, but for the most part I go with light fare in the morning. It's all about "enzyme nutrition"---I don't mean that packaged crap, but real enzymes found in fresh fruits and vegetables. As far as exercise goes, I do a lot of hiking out on BLM land, even while trucking (my photos will back up that claim), and I also do a lot of walking while I'm "trashin' around." I visit "show caves" and Civil War battlefields on my time off, places like that where walking is necessary to get around. "Mall walking" is a good substitute if you're stuck near a mall. I already mentioned in another post that I routinely park in the back of every truck stop parking lot, or far enough away to stretch my legs every time I walk into the building. When I ran the southern route all the time, I'd always stop at that Walmart SuperCenter in Deming, NM, on my first day out, just to bag 7 or 8 gallons of bottled water and stock my cooler for the trip... it's fairly easy to get in and out of there, and the place is open 24/7. That's my $.02 on nutrition and exercise... as adults, we all make choices, and that includes choices made at the table or at the supermarket. I know it's harder for some drivers to lose weight than it is for others, but it can be done... I was blessed (or cursed, depending upon your perspective) with the metabolism of an F-14, but I still strive to make healthy choices when it comes to macking. Okay, now I'm done... "Adios!!! And you drivers tryin' to lose weight, hang in there!!! You can do it, it just takes a little time..."

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.