Loss of time... Must move now!

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Bolt Thrower, Mar 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    You and your kid will be apart alot. The most important message that you can give your child, and reinforce with every single phone call, is your unending, unconditional love for them no matter what. That is the foundation by which you will raise an emotionally stable human. It doesnt matter how much youre home or how expensive your birthday gifts are. It matters that the kid knows they can never do anything to lose your love and that they are just the way they are supposed to be. That none of this is their fault. Its especially critical throughout marriage turmoil.

As for flatbed i cant offer too much more than whats been said. For me, the physical pain of long haul driving is the hardest to manage, and it is definitely exacerbated by worry. Unconfidence in the equipment or securement gives me tension and soreness from head to toe. My boss likes to occasionally strap down a load for me as a "favor" when he wants me to do unpaid extras. I tell him just ask for the extras and let me strap my own. Would you be confident in a suitcase your wife packed? I cant be confident running 70mph between another truck and a median up in the twisties unless i secured it myself. When you push in the red and yellow buttons, you just signed full responsibility for a world of innocent, ignorant strangers that will swarm all around you just as you are about to hammer up a steep hill.. Theyll jump in front with no blinker and settle in for a sunday drive when youve finally packed 75mph of momentum into the load for the climb. "Jim strapped it down" wont cut it at a negligent manslaughter trial. Be triple sure and you can rest easy at the wheel.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Boss = Rob Peter to pay Paul. Well as far as I am concerned there is a piper in the mix somewhere. I don't want to be around when the Piper wants to be paid. He can lead the children into the hill for all.. well.. Im not that bad. But yes if you are not particularly careful and vigilant when someone approaches in a beeline across a acre of truckstop lot and pesters you for time in a dark area you always want to take a look around make sure his partner is not coming from behind with a bat or whatever.

Ive been very careful around money. Jessup Maryland for instance has a TA on the hill with a fuel desk two rooms inside the fuel service door. One room had a couple of games. Pretty rough when you see the young thugs eyeballing those comchecks being cashed with wads of 100's coming back across to certain truckers from 10 feet away. I don't touch a #### dollar in there if I can help it.

What I am getting at is when you are with people who you love and loves you in life through a variety of ways usually family or blood etc you do what you can to ensure your own health and freedom in trucking. So you are in possession more or less of all of your parts, particularly at this age.

Just remember, when they are setting that coil down which is the size of a Tradesman Van if it creaks, back off before it mashes you. It's fixing to shift and settle and when it does it can get ya. 30000 pounds don't feel you at all. Or hear you hollar and swear in pain. Or nutrition by a thousand cuts. (Iron) etc.

You will be ok. You got this far, you will enjoy flatbedding, it's pretty classy with the right loads.

4. Bolt Thrower

Bolt Thrower Light Load Member

Mar 29, 2019
    I think she's a terrible mother. My daughter has developed bad eating habits and has become very sassy. She doesn't listen to adults except for me when I have her. Her punk husband likes to run his mouth to my daughter specifically about me. I tried to be an adult with all of this but now it's starting to become toxic. I've tried to be civil with her to give her suggestions about parenting and she takes it very personal. I wish we could have a civil relationship to raise our daughter but I think her husband won't let that happen. he's so immature he thinks if we're getting along that she's trying to get back with me or some BS. I've made it very clear that I don't want anything to do with his wife. I know TMI. Thanks for listening to my rant LOL

5. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    What’s wrong with McD’s coffee?
    If it fresh, it’s actually good.

jamespmack and Trucker61016 Thank this.
  6. Bolt Thrower

Bolt Thrower Light Load Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Everything's wrong with coffee in general... Not just McDonald's lol

jamespmack and TripleSix Thank this.
  7. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Be the good example, no matter what.
    Never trash the ex or her current partner in front of the children.
    Be the good example, the one they will look to for a stability.

8. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    This is pure flatbedding gospel!

jamespmack, TripleSix and PoleCrusher Thank this.
  9. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    I would also add to everyone else's advice my own little piece.

There is no such thing as too much securement. Put on what you need and don't hesitate to throw a few more.

And always look at where your straps touch product. Put cardboard, plastic, rubber, carpet, whatever between an edge and your straps. You'd be surprised at what will cut or rub through a strap.

jamespmack and TripleSix Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I actually thrive on the stuff. I just have a vision of a dozen flatbedders making a mess when that automatic kicks in that bounce house trying to get out of a spot. I picked marbles.

Anyway McDonalds is not bad, but Im burned out on that stuff.

Coffee that is worth a ####? Hum.. I'll have to either go east to Sheetz or order a case direct mail or find a box of columbian or arabica as sold by Sysco that we all grew up on.

A very long time ago we had a pile of beans, ground them in the store. 8'oclock coffee I think. Brew it in the old percolators. I'll be ###### if I can find a modern working version using just the basics.

I sound like a coffee nut. I am not. There is a bank down a ways that brew folgers and does a #### good job of it. So I'll shuffle a few dollars just to get a cup.

11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Just keep an eye on your load and straps.

Flatbedding isn't for rookie truckers. You can't just load and strap and go. Loads will always settle. Straps and chains will always need tightening down every few miles.

AND don't ever leave spacing in any part of the load. EVERYTHING needs to be bucked together. Touching. Or your load won't be secured.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.