Lost air pressure. Springdale Montana.

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by xsetra, Feb 21, 2020.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I’d rather not. Like @Odin's Rabid Dog pointed out somebody else might have the same issue in the future.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I agree.

Snailexpress Thanks this.
  4. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Well engine is a 1999 n14.
    Air compressor was changed 2 years ago.
    I had truck towed. I did all I could. I have the tools, not the parts.

Reading the replies posted. I think it is the unloader valve. Mechanic will only replace entire compressor assembly.

Now I rest in a hotel and wait for Monday.

5. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Did you spray WD in compressor intake while engine was running ?

6. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Yes, I sprayed wd40 in both inlet and outlet.
    After I called tow truck I got my hammer a smacked the darn compressor. That didn't help, but I felt better.haha.

7. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Update. Compressor changed, new governor.
    Initially when I hooked to trailer, pressure seemed ok.
    I drove 60 miles the low and high pressures we're lower than before.
    (I am always a little paranoid after a repair done by strangers). I called repair shop. They explained (I knew) why new pressures are different. " New governor settings".
    BUT the kick in pressure kept changing. 105, 110, 90, 85. Not always the same.

The new time between cycles was about 3 times from before repair, 14 miles versus 4.5.

I wanted to get home so I set the cruise at 70 and off I went. Casually keeping an eye on air gauge. After another 30 miles things seemed to be ok.

Then both knobs on dash valve popped off. Pressure on both gauges 100psi. No warning light. or buzzer, I tried to push knobs back in as I pulled on road shoulder. Not enough air for brakes to release. It was after sunset now.
    Quickly checked under truck and trailer for air leak. Couldn't hear any. I left truck running when I got out. I heard the dryer purge, got back in truck. Sure enough the pressure was up to 125. Checked maps, next exit 7.5 miles. Released brakes. Sure hope I can make it.

Next exit made it but darn the exit ramp is a "U" to the stop sign with the entrance ramp parallel to it, like a normal get on ramp. So as I come to stop sign, turn left, than backup to make left turn to entrance ramp. All the time hoping my brakes don't lock up again. After a few nervous moments as pressure drops to 90psi. I stop on shoulder.

Upon further inspection when I release tractor brakes all is ok. Then I push the trailer button on dash valve, the trailer brakes release but I hear an air leak. Air is venting out the exhaust thru the firewall. If I put my finger on the vent hose it pops both brake knobs.

So to get to a safe parking spot. I back off the trailer brakes. I have no load, empty stepdeck. Good thing this happened when it did. Just a couple miles further the interstate was ice covered and it was snowing slush.

After talking with my local mechanic he thinks the Tractor Protection Valve is bad.

Also sometimes the purge valve on dryer continues to flutter letting air out.

New compressor is working fine. Plenty of air volume. IMG_20200224_165612812.jpg

nikmirbre, jsnell and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  8. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    IMG_20200215_132642118_HDR.jpg To put the finish on this problem. When I got home I still had a leak out of the vent from the MV-3
    I used a rebuild kit to fix the MV-3. I replaced the Tractor Protection Valve and the Quick Release Valve attached to the TPV. The MV-3 vent still leaked.

So I replaced the MV-3 valve. That solved the leak. The original body must have been damaged internally to allow the leak. The reason for trying the rebuild kit , I did not want to pull that octopus out of the dash!
    While I was at it, I replaced the dash framework. Wow, that sure stopped a lot of the dash rattles.

I don't mind putting the new valves on the truck. As far as I know they are the originals. They aren't going to last forever. I also replaced the air dryer assembly.

I did replace my air compressor February of 2018. Seems a short life for the compressor.

Both primary and secondary air gauges are showing close to identical pressures when filling. I drove about 21 miles between hearing the air purge on dryer. Best of all, no audible leaks.

So back to work tomorrow. Well, back to driving anyway.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    QUALITYTRUCK and nikmirbre Thank this.
  9. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    The purge valve fluttering, do you replace the valve or is that sign of an underlying issue?

I ask cause mine flutters but still purged normally, I’ve got the valve to replace it just hadn’t been up to doing it yet.

xsetra Thanks this.
  10. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    My valve was fluttering. That was another reason I changed the whole assembly. I held my hand under the valve and it was pushing some oil out with the air. Since I just had a new compressor installed. I figured the filter inside air dryer was in need of changing. For me it is easier to change the entire thing. I think the price difference was under $100.00 filter versus whole air dryer. Then I would have to buy and install the purge valve.

nikmirbre Thanks this.
  11. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    What I thought was the fix. Turned out not to be the fix.
    After replacing the MV-3, the Tractor Protection Valve, the air dryer, governor and the Compressor.
    I found the problem for the varying air pressure was caused by the Unloader Valve. (the black part mounted on the top and side of compressor)
    It was old and worn limiting the volume of air not the pressure.
    When the mechanic in Montana replaced the compressor, he cleaned the "check valve" and reinstalled it.
    What he thought was the "check valve" was the Unloader Valve on the Cummins system.

I sure could have saved some money and frustration, if I knew what the function and what the Unloader Valve was. I would have changed it 2 years ago when replaced the original compressor.
    Thanks to everyone that commented.

nikmirbre, QUALITYTRUCK and 062 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.