Loud boom, no damage, cannot figure out where it came from?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by D.Tibbitt, Apr 23, 2019.

1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I have seen batteries blow and sound similar. Turbos when one side breaks off, or even a cac hose clamp can make a similar noise. These are some I have personally heard.
    A weird one happened to me one time but not in a truck. I was running a 631 cat scraper loaded and wide open, the last load before lunch. I blew a tire, dirt flew and the air smelled like the air from inside of a tire, were talking big sonic boom. I stoped and checked no flat, I got back on and raised the pan and still no no tire looked low, The blade man had heard it also and came to see what blew. I still had air pressure so this is just a head scratcher. I went and dumped and went to lunch. The mechanics always checked our oil and looked over things while we were eating, but I told the boss mechanic that I had bloow a tire, he ask which one, and I told him I was pretty sure the one by the drivers seat, but wasn't sure. He walked off shaking his head, and came back telling me I must have lost my mind. Right before lunch was over he came back and told me I now had a flat, I told him it was more than a flat and I wanted to look at the old tire when they got it off.
    It had blown about a 6 in high by foot long chunk out of the side wall, but it had blown inward and resealed the hole. Some times strange things happen. lol

bigguns, Lepton1, JoeyJunk and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Another thing that can make a get your attention boom, is a butane lighter that the defroster has eaten. lol

Ruthless, not4hire, JoeyJunk and 3 others Thank this.
  4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    U know what it definatly sounded like it came from the compressor , but theres no broken lines , and it was maintaining pressure all day like normal..if it built to much pressure would it blow off the excess without breaking anything?

5. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    Purge valve bad perhaps?

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  6. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Did you run over an armadillo? They jump.

Dave_in_AZ and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There have been times in the mountains in bad weather (Rain) where I have had booms.

Check the truck carefully nothing. Radio is quiet, everyone else is in order and so on.

You wont believe me but sometimes that mountain talks to you when the boulders crack and shift You do not want to be around when that mountain decides to have a rockslide.

Dispatch has sent me for drug tests before when I reported these things so I learned to let it go and shut up about it.

8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Where would i find that

9. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    On your air compressor, or by the bumper.
    It's the part that let's the air out when you reach 120psi.
    Or your governor could be dirty?

x1Heavy and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  10. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    What did you have for lunch. Next time you stop check your shorts.

11. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    It could be a cross member trying to work loose. They will make a pronounced pop and you will feel it in the floorboard. Not saying that's it but a possibly. Usually nothing to really worry about unless it gets frequent.

I'm not sure what kind of front spring pins the truck has but if they are a pin and bushing style that greases they can pop also. Though usually in a turn.

Dave_in_AZ, booley, bigguns and 7 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.