Love a cyclist please

Discussion in 'Australian Truckers Forum' started by Cyclist, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Cyclist

Cyclist Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Hi all you men and women out there. my Dad drove trucks all his life. My son is also a Truckie. As a little girl, I often rode with him on the Darwin to Tennant Creek run... we are talking a looooong time ago! Dad has since passed away. However... I need your help please. My friend was struck and killed by a truck Tuesday morning in our home town whilst riding his push bike. Our local truckies are FANTASTIC! They encounter us often. Awesome people! Please can you give us a meter and a half? My friend's wife is now a young widow and their daughter has no dad. We have enormous respect for you all and just need you to watch out for us. We understand time is money for you, but time can be the difference between a cyclist making it home to their family. ...or not. Just a meter and a half on the open road and making sure it's safe to go around. My friend... he was a family man and heavily involved in our community. He was a beautiful , loving husband and dad. Please be patient.
    Thank you for your time. Have an awesome day. And ...safe trucking.
    Donna (cyclist)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    KillingTime and magoo68 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cyclist

Cyclist Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Thank you for your acknowledgement Magoo68. what can I do to instil a trust and respect? I can't bare the thought of my friend's death being in vain, nor the trauma the truck driver will be going through. He also has a young family. We are all people at the end of the day. I desperately want to create a change in attitude. humanity and kindness, respect.... a metre matters... especially when you are on a bike.

KillingTime Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Here in America, I gave the bikers what they need. Not always what they would like to have because some of our roads cannot accomodate both a biker and a large semi because semi will cross the yellow into oncoming traffic.

I was a biker quite alot in my day until a wreck on a bridge put me down in front of a low boy hauling heavy equiptment, I heard his jake go in and the braking he changed lanes on that bridge for my life. I don't ride anymore. Im just happy heavy equiptment did what he did to spare me.

But as a trucker, I have always given the bikers what they need. And sometimes it's not much room at all. Other times they have all kinds of room. It depends on what is possible. There is one in particular who my spouse saved one day that we missed by this much and I'll never forget how close that trailer missed him. Just happy it did. But it was very unfortunate for him to be where he was and very bad for us to be where we were. I took the entire rig into two lanes of oncoming traffic to work around this biker with the trailer on that particular curve. I believe to this day if there was anyone or several cars coming on I would have put the whole thing into the lake and that would be that for the two of us.

Im no hero. Bikers do what they can and we do what we can. Ultimately the Roads need to be built to accomodate both the biker and trucker in safety. SOME of our states have a two meter path for bikers painted and designated for them with what would otherwise be called shoulders elsewhere. But not all states.

I do wish you Aussies the best. I follow your road trains now and then and think we can use the same here in the USA.

Cyclist Thanks this.
  5. Cyclist

Cyclist Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Thank you so much for your reply. I know it is difficult for truck drivers. You are correct in saying the roads need to be better designed to accommodate both. that is. ... bike lanes. Safe driving.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.