Love's-Gemini in Berthoud and Denver.

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by bentstrider83, Jul 13, 2021.

1. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    So I've been told by the recruiters that this area and places like OR and WA are the only places they're immediately needing drivers. So basically high prices and crazy winters. That said, how do they operate when it comes to that crazy weather? No issue for me when it comes to driving on the snow. But when it's coming down so thick that you can't see 2' in front of you, I honestly shut it down(weather apps show my area in blue, I don't move.).

My current job with IRT has been pretty good about letting us sit out blinding storms like that. But I'm worried about pulling the trigger on the move northward for the Love's job and not getting the same leniency during a winter blinder(gets fired for refusing to drive through blinding snow dumping and then has to pack up and move back south sooner than planned).

I'm just trying to get the details on Loves-Gemini inclement weather policies before I take on the job. Sounds like a weather/"what if it snows?" post. But also thought it would be more relevant for the tanker section.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Aoki Gahara

Aoki Gahara Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2021
    You're gonna go if the roads are open, etc.

4. bentstrider83

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    That username doesn't make the message sound too inviting. Haven't made up my mind, but I imagine I could try to last at least a year up there in Wannabe Portland.

I mean if the roads are open, fine. But I've dealt with that "Millennium Falcon at Hyperspace" effect with the snow just enough to know I'd probably stay home and wear the adjoining disciplinary action on the chin.

BlueThunderr Thanks this.
  5. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I can’t speak to their specific policy, but I have spent roughly half of my driving career running the Northwest. Seems about any company based where they have winter will expect you to be moving if the roads are open. Not sure where all they run in OR and WA but if they’re like other companies you will be expected to chain and keep going.

6. bentstrider83

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Nothing wrong with the chains. If I have to snail-crawl at 10 mph with those things on, then so be it. It's the blinding snow that you can't see through that worries me.

But, I'll definitely have to make some sort of adult, big boy, money decision quick. My Honda Shadow was jacked between either Thursday or Friday some time while I had a bum knee on my days off. That and my milk tanker job is really acting weird. One week I'll get a decent paying three loads a week. This week looks like two. Either way, I goofed on my motorcycle insurance and might have to dip into my squirrel fund in order to get another. Or see about getting rid of my pickup truck and going for a Can-Am Spyder as my main motor vehicle.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  7. Thore

Thore Bobtail Member

Dec 9, 2014
    KC
    Can't speak for up north. Colorado won't be that bad. Most of your runs will be around Denver. They do some Bueno Vista I know. Couple more. They will pull loads and run up to Wansutter, Wy. Last winter they let 3rd party do alot of that though. One thing I will say they have the facing cameras in the trucks and has forced alot of them to quit or not apply in this area. That being said. Alot of them went to Offen Petroleum here in Denver. No camera system laid back. Alot of work too. They run the mountains but have there dedicated mountain drivers. You'll never be forced up there. And for the most part the winter around Denver isn't terrible

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  8. bentstrider83

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    The winter wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't seeing CA prices for housing up there. My stinginess and cheapness is probably making me more flaky about relocating there than the winter. Too many "nice apartments", not enough basic places to simply go to sleep in.

I've been doing house/apartment searches and the place seems horrifically yuppified. And I consider myself a liberal(the 15 round mag limit for CO is also garbage too).

That said, I'll probably keep my eye open for Offen. I've seen them up there as well as Circle K. No cams sounds awesome. Place I'm at right now doesn't have them.

9. Aoki Gahara

Feb 12, 2021
    Offen is always hiring, seems like Sinclair is there most popular place to load. May want to consider looking at hauling ethanol...easy work.

10. bentstrider83

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Still waiting on a call back and calling them. Of course all I'm getting are voicemails. Might just hang around down here and save up for a 13' camper trailer.

Aoki Gahara Thanks this.
  11. Aoki Gahara

Feb 12, 2021
    yep, take it easy...jobs will still be here.

12. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    The Front Range (the high prairie along the front of the Rockies) has seriously great weather 90% of the time. 300 sunny days a year, low humidity almost all the time. I lived in Fort Collins 1992-97 and again 1999-2003, and I regret leaving.

It has gotten crazy expensive to buy or rent, true. If I was going to go back, I’d probably look at one of the little towns east of I-25, maybe east of Greeley.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.