Low air leaf bushings

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by granhawler, Apr 26, 2017.

1. granhawler

granhawler Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2011
    I need to replace the suspension bushings on my Pete. Has anyone done this & how easy/hard was it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Luwi67

Luwi67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Long island
    There are some videos on you-tube that you can get an idea of what's involved.

Cottonmouth85 Thanks this.
  4. granhawler

granhawler Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2011
    I've looked on YouTube & the only videos I find is of a guy with a prybar checking his bushings & tiger tool putting bushings in a freightliner suspension. I have all the necessary tools to do it at my shop I'm just wondering the easiest way. I'm thinking that you have to remove the bushing housing from the springs, install the new bushings & then put it back together is the easiest route

5. catwrench55

catwrench55 Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Watching....... got the parts waiting on the time and confidense as well

6. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Pretty sure my truck is just low air, and different from what you have, however same principles apply. Pretty much guaranteed to need the fire wrench to cut the nut or bolt head off one side. When doing this the rubber bushing will likely start on fire, don't put it out. Let it burn a bit and the rubber will start melting out, then you should be able to use a big punch and hammer to drive out the bolt and the rest of the rubber.

That's how I do it on mine. Fire is your friend. And sadly for being a peterbilt undies wearing kinds guy I don't know all the suspensions very well

granhawler Thanks this.
  7. Trcknwolf

Trcknwolf Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Bellevue, NE
    I've got a 1999 Pete 379 with the low air leaf. Did the rear suspension bushings last year in the driveway. We didn't do anything special but remove the bolts (1 corner at a time), drove out the old sleeve & bushing, cleaned up the holes, put the new bushings in place, tapped in the sleeve, put the rest of the hardware on & tightened down. Nothing to it! Using a light coat of engine oil will help the sleeve go in easier.

joey8686 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.