Low bed questions

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Dino soar, Dec 19, 2023.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    To everyone that helped me with the pony motor situation, thank you. The trailer is home now and we have to do a few things to it.

The trailer is a late '80s 35 ton Eager Beaver trailer, the type with the ramps on the back.

The first question I have is that the gentleman that had the trailer before us put tires on it that are larger than the original size. So the low bed sits a little higher on the back end and you can see it slopes down a little. When I looked up the tires they said they were I believe 3 and 1/2 in higher something like that over the original tires. What tire size do you guys use? I believe the tire size on there is 295 75 R22 5.

Question 1:
    If the low bed sits 3 or 4 in or so higher in the back, when we put that 20 ton excavator on there, will that overload my truck? Will that make my drive axles overweight if it slopes that way?

I question that because my truck is just a regular tractor, I only have 40,000 lb rears, and that 20 ton excavator needs to go 3 hours up to the farm and then it's going to have to come 3 hours back down here perhaps a few times because we have work down here that has to be done also.

I'm sure at least the D4 or D6 would be coming down also.

So the point is we have a little distance to travel and I just want to make sure my rears are not overloaded or get overheated or get over worked aside from any tickets.

Question 2:
    The next question is hauling that excavator, what is the WLL that I need for the binders and chains? Can someone explain to me the legal correct way to chain that down and how many chains and binders are required? How about the D4 or D6?

Question 3:
    How much overhang is allowed on each side before it is an oversized load? Can I move a D6 without it being an oversized load? If it is legal, do I have to put flags on it?

Just trying to cover all the bases when we move our things. I didn't even think about it until I got the trailer home but I have to put reflective tape on it.

20231218_185501.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SomeCanadian

SomeCanadian Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2021
    For OS/OW questions you should refer to your local dot… it verys state to state & even between counties. For tie downs please refer to the green book, part 393. Basically you must match the wll to the weight. If you think you have enough chains add two more.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  4. Razororange

Razororange Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    Q1: it won't make any noticeable difference. More important will be forward and back load placement.

Q2: 4 G70 1/2 chains on the tracks or undercarriage and a single chain on the bucket/stick somewhere would be legal for an excavator that is 40K.

Q3: Anything over 8'6" needs a permit.

5. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I don't have time to address each question at the moment, but someone else probably will. If not I'll try to help tonight.

Is your trailer 96" wide? What suspension does your trailer have?
    Does your rgn have adjustable height settings? These things will be helpful in answering your questions.

W923, cke, Dino soar and 1 other person Thank this.
  6. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Honestly I didn't even think that a low bed would be less than 102 in. I thought the idea was be able to go to the maximum width because you're hauling big stuff!

I have to go out and measure it but the rear suspension is the spring suspension it's not adjustable.

cke and Oxbow Thank this.
  7. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    cke, Oxbow and OLDSKOOLERnWV Thank this.
  8. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    I just drug in a trailer like that for a customer, drug it out of NC. Ground bearing RGN 35 ton with ramps, but it has 15” wheels….

IMG_6741.png

Dino soar, cke, Oxbow and 1 other person Thank this.
  9. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    This Hitachi is around 54,000. I use (4) G70 1/2” chains on these bigger machines. I usually hook on the tracks and cross the chains pulling inward on the tracks not outward. Need a chain across your boom or bucket as well….

IMG_6744.png IMG_6742.jpeg

Dino soar, cke, Speedy356 and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.