Low Turbo boost

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Rideandrepair, Sep 2, 2023.

1. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Don’t use a pipe with no elasticity, it will crack out in short order. Don’t ask me how I know lol

BoxCarKidd and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    B11C51BB-B6C6-4654-B926-F42B5C5339D6.jpeg 4” pvc coupler and 2 hose clamps. Home Depot $18. Should last another 23 years.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  4. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I wouldn’t trust those clamps.
    Have you ever seen a joint blow apart under pressure? It’s impressive.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I don’t think that couple will swell without cracking. I know that doesn’t sound right but trust me. I made an adapter to put an N-14 turbo on a big cam that was not air to air. It still used the cooler in the intake. Due to me being a stick welder only we used heavy wall pipe. She ran like a scalded dog about a 100 miles or so then quit pulling and tried getting hot both coolant and pyro. A little soapy water revealed that heavy wall pipe cracked long ways everywhere it could. About 1/2 inch apart all way around it. Had one made outta the regular tubing that most use and problem solved. A little flex is all I could figure

Oxbow, BoxCarKidd and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Well my experiment already failed. Big Boom!! Glad it wasn’t a tire or the turbo. Out it back together for now. Why won’t something similar to the hit side work on the cold side? More pressure on the cold side? More resistance maybe from the valves/pistons than just the CAC cooler?? Seems if the red silicone hoses will hold without blowing, any thick plastic or thin steel or aluminum would be plenty strong without cracking. Just wondering. I obviously don’t know. I think if I go ad better clamps it would work fine. That coupler is thick.

7. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    4 inch irrigation pipe can work if you can bead-roll the ends.
    Whoever owned that truck before you replaced the aluminized steel tubing with rubber hose and even double fabric reinforced hose will stretch and pop.

Rideandrepair, BoxCarKidd and LameMule Thank this.
  8. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    That is crazy!
    Had a tanker yanker come in one afternoon. OO running out of where I worked had a 50 foot red blow off hose for the Chicago fittings cut off, that's 3/4 inch. One end was hooked up to the compressor kind of like that deal. Maybe cut the stainless line off the fitting and clamped it to the JIC fitting nut with tape or pump packing in there. Did not want to loose his 50 foot hose so just cut it off a both ends and used the whole thing. I told him I was amazed he made that work at all. He said it has been running like that since 2 AM when the stainless hose blow out in the middle of no where.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. LameMule

LameMule Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Montana
    Take some measurements or bend some wire to match the desired shape and browse a old truck junkyard looking for the closest match. I dug through a pile of cac piping looking for a cleaner setup for the old 359 and it was a breeze. Just gotta find a good size pile of old take offs.

Rideandrepair and beastr123 Thank this.
  10. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I’m working on a $!@# cascadia now. I’ll grab a tape measure in a minute.

11. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    No. That’s the original hose it was built with. Just like most Trucks. It’s on the cold intake side, not the hot turbo side.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.