Low visibility question

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by ashtre, Mar 14, 2019.

1. ashtre

ashtre Light Load Member

May 9, 2016
    Raining on me so was goin 50mph in a 55, 2 lane highway no shoulders in backwoods MS today when ridiculous hail storm suddenly shut visibility down to maybe 10 ft or so, just like heavy fog or a snow storm would yadda yadda, anyways, what the hell speed should i have slowed down to in case it happens, i mean when it happens, again? Glad it only lasted about 2 miles, was worried if I slowed too much someone would run up my ### and if i was goin too fast would run up someone else's ###.

tinytim Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    Travel at the speed that you can safely stop Incase something comes up. Especially in low visibility. If it reaches a point where you’re doing 45 or less at the highway just shut her down.

jammer910Z and PE_T Thank this.
  4. kidz bop

kidz bop Medium Load Member

Oct 5, 2017
    make sure your dot reflective tape is in good condition if you know you are heading into a storm or going to be driving in stormy conditions or fog. carry a role with you, repair your trailer if needed during your pretrips.

as far as speed, it's a toss up, slower safer speed may mean increased chances of being rear ended by the other unsafe drivers on the road. going faster may mean more chance of hitting a rock or deer or deep puddle(hydroplaning), ect. i think overall slower is better, it's better to get rear ended then you yourself cause a crash.

in those conditions, i'd also suggest turning on your flashers, maybe 35 to 45 with flasher on, until more vision. if icy snowy, maybe 25, one other key is using your own judgement, if you notice not much sliding around, then you might be able to go faster. if there is alot of trees right next to the road alot of curves, if there is cliffs near the road(that may drop rocks onto the road), ect then i'd suggest slower safer speed to give self time to react.

Mooseontheloose Thanks this.
  5. ashtre

ashtre Light Load Member

May 9, 2016
    Yea def trees and hard curves, i did put on flashers but there was no shoulder to shut her down on so really wasnt an option not in the middle of a travel lane

6. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Drive whatever speed your comfortable with, and that's that.

peterd, Mooseontheloose and booley Thank this.
  7. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Slow down and don’t stop (unless you have no choice) until you can get off the road.....

Of course lights on....

Mooseontheloose and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  8. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Theres a thread here called Hit a car stopped in the hammer lane ... Some good and some bad info there

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  9. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    When things are that bad, you slow down to whatever speed is safe. We can't put a number on these questions, because what may be safe on one road may get you killed on another.

Lots of people say turn the flashers on. I detest seeing people running with them on for miles. I'll turn them on when I first encounter poor conditions. But once there's a few cars or trucks behind, they get turned off.

I see people driving down the road with them on in snowstorms, and they've been in the snow for miles. Everyone around them is going slow, and behaving nicely. So what's the point?

10. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    Re: 4-way hazards.

Agreed.

5th guy in line isn't going to see them and if he doesn't have them on himself as the rear of the pack & the 6th guy hits him... Well, that's on the 5th & 6th guy in line.

Nancy the truck if you have to, but let a few people know that that's what you're doing.

11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

When I meet hail I stop on the shoulder of a ramp or on shoulder of road if hail is really bad. 95% of my driving is on freeways/interstate highways, or whatever people call the multi-lane federal highways. On a 2 lane road, I guess I would just go very slow. Your road speed is only going to increase the damage the hail can do to the truck. If you cannot see far you must slow so you can stop in the distance you can see. On a 2 lane road you're screwed, but I would still slow even to a walking speed. But you have to make the call. You're the only one on the scene seeing everything there. So do the best you can.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.